Snipers camoflage.

This is a forum for the weapons we knew about. It is also a place for remembering the equipment we carried and how and why we carried what we did.
Chris Tsamados

Snipers camoflage.

Postby Chris Tsamados » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:37 am

Did snipers in Vietnam have access to any specially made camoflage?
Such as the Ghille suit (i'm not sure if this was designed after the Vietnam War)
http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/ultimatesniper/snipers.jpg

Or did they modify their own clothing by pushing bits of folidge through it?
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Snipers camoflage.

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:06 pm

Sorry nobody has answered. The only snipers I remember would be assigned to companies for short periods of time. They dressed pretty much like everybody else. The difference was they had an M14 with scope and the scope had a starlight feature.

Snipers got some kind of incentive on kills. For each VC they shot they got some kind of stand down reward. Can't remember exactly how that worked.

I don't think snipers were thought much of by the regular troops, meaning they weren't thought of as anybody special. They didn't seem to do much different than anybody else on ambush, just had a better rifle to do it with in a narrow way. And if a possible enemy contact came along the sniper got to make the first shot from ambush.

I could tell you a story about one that comes to mind but guess I better skip it.
Chris Tsamados

Postby Chris Tsamados » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:16 pm

Thanks, sounds ominous...

Return to “Weapons, equipment, and how we did things”