The engraved zippo lighter.

This is a forum for the weapons we knew about. It is also a place for remembering the equipment we carried and how and why we carried what we did.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

The engraved zippo lighter.

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue May 20, 2003 12:10 am

Just about everybody smoked cigarettes back then. One of the first things you did was get a Zippo lighter and sooner or later you had it engraved. There were no Bic lighters back then or any other throw away lighters, but every VC you ever saw dead had next to nothing with the exception of a Bic pen and his personal firearm with very little kit to go with it.

This one may well have belonged to Lt. Clay Hall of Alpha Company in 1970. It was sent to someone at another site created for another 9th Division battalion. But...the Lt. Hall I remember came along after Dong Tam was already history.....so it's still a mystery as to who the owner was.

I had this lighter engraved on one side when I got to be Recon Sgt. I was still a pfc by the way.

Sometime in September 1970 when the 6/31st pulled out I was sent to the 101st and I later had the other side engraved and added the 9th Division dates to the 9th Divison side at the same time.
Attachments
101.jpg
9er.jpg
hallslighter.jpg
Last edited by Niner Alpha on Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Still works

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:59 pm

Mine has lasted pretty well. I gave up using it twenty years ago when I gave up cigarettes. Cover could use another pin in the hinge, but still works. I took up cigar smoking now and then a few years ago....not the brightest move I ever made.

Return to “Weapons, equipment, and how we did things”