So how many rounds did you put in your M16 Mags?

This is a forum for the weapons we knew about. It is also a place for remembering the equipment we carried and how and why we carried what we did.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

So how many rounds did you put in your M16 Mags?

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:23 pm

This could just as well have gone in the weapons forum , but since I wanted to have something show here and this is a question that would fit either, I put it here.

My memory is that the general feeling was that you shouldn't put the full 20 rounds in any of your magazines. I think I carried 18 in each magazine. The idea was that with the spring tension and the mud and crud, the lesser number of rounds would more likely allow the magazine spring to function than a full load. What do you remember about this? Opinions?
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Re: So how many rounds did you put in your M16 Mags?

Postby Delta75 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:27 am

I can't remember how many rounds but I do remember having a magazine jam during a fire-fight. I realized that I was pulling the trigger and that nothing was happening. My thought was...damn...my M-16 has finally jammed like I had heard it would or my mag was empty.....but it couldn't have been an empty mag...because I just loaded it. Well...I pulled out the mag and there were plenty of rounds; however, we had been in and out canals over the last few days and the magazine was jammed. Believe me, in the future...I checked the mags frequently. It never happened again.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:30 am

What prompted this question was a string on one of my favorite gun nut sites. It went on for several pages with heated discussion and strong opinions on the subject. Seems some thought it was bad advice that made the rounds in Vietnam and was not necessary. The ones most in line with the full 20 rounds were, for the most part, guys who never shot one except on the rifle range though. Seems now days the standard issue magazine for the M16 holds thirty rounds though.
jtier
Sustaining Member

Postby jtier » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:19 pm

I was an eighteen round per mag beliver. I had taken apart my mags on a stand down and was suprised at all the crap and rust inside. After that I cleaned and lubed them inside with the diesel fuel near the third platoon hooch in Can Gouce. I also carried a few, all tracer round mags for marking targets at night but never remember ever doing it in the field. All my mags had a tracer round, ever third round.
11B69

m16

Postby 11B69 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:57 pm

18 rounds per mag. A tracer about every 5th i think. At least one mag of all tracers, for zeroing in on enemy,some guys said it was good for burning a hootch from a distance. Also carried one mag without any tracers. Some guys didn't like to use any tracers, they figured it gave their position away. Had a couple of AK clips that were altered to hold the M16 rounds and held 30, we didn't have the 30 round M16 clips at the time.

My 16 jammed when ambushed one night[biggest suprise of my life], pounded on the "forward release"[i think that's what it was called] to no avail. Time stood still. Changed mags and was ok. Next day found that mag spring was rusted and didn't push up rounds into chamber properly. That NEVER happened again. Triple checked my mags, ammo and 16 before every op after getting the fear of God.
PensiveJonathan

Postby PensiveJonathan » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:38 am

How do I join your group?
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Magazine Rounds

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:19 pm

18 rounds it is, any more you had a potential for a jam. You had to clean mags, and stuff, plenty of lube on a bolt. When I got to the Cav, I got ahold of 2 40 round mags, taped to where i could reverse them, Vietnamese made, man they worked like a charm! I called them 80 Big Ones! Up north they were on you all the time when you came into a firebase, weapon cleaning, tactics etc!
Charlie "Tripper" Salisbury
The Pelion Kid
Sustaining Member

# of rounds in 16.

Postby The Pelion Kid » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:19 pm

I was told to not fully load the magazine.Don't remember if it was 18 or 19.I was also told to forget about lightly lubricating the weapon.Grease her up good and it won't jam as bad.Followed advice and had no problems with my rifle or clips.Excuse me.Magazines.Floyd E. :twisted:
The Pelion Kid

Return to “Weapons, equipment, and how we did things”