Question for squad leaders and Plt. Sgts

This is a forum for the weapons we knew about. It is also a place for remembering the equipment we carried and how and why we carried what we did.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Question for squad leaders and Plt. Sgts

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:30 pm

Each platoon and squad had to carry some extra stuff. Claymores, extra 60 ammo. trip flairs, Laws, etc., more or less depending on the operation and the platoon leader or platoon sgt. How did you decide how to divide the load? 60 gunners, assistant gunners, RTO's, blooker, point man, rifleman. How did you divide it up?
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Re: Question for squad leaders and Plt. Sgts

Postby Delta75 » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:25 am

Ok Niner....help me out...what was a "blooker".
In my platoon everyone (usually even the Lt) carried 200 rounds of M60 ammo. We even carried 4 M60's...one for each squad. Of course, the gunner and A-gunner carried more than 200 rounds each....along with extra barrels. When we set up, everyone would go by and drop off their ammo at one of the 60's....then pick it back up when we were ready to go.

Due to the weight that they carried, the M79 guys and RTOs were usually not given a LAW or a claymoore to carry. (At times an RTO might strap on a LAW since it weighed so little.) Any LAWs or claymoores to be carried were then divided among the riflemen (including me...the Plt SSG....and, at times, the LT). I don't ever remember carrying any tripflares.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Question for squad leaders and Plt. Sgts

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:54 pm

Blookers were M79's . Can't say why. Maybe "bang-blooker", or maybe not, was the sound they made. And I didn't mention Smoke granades. So many of them had to be carried as well as hand flairs and radio men had to have extra batteries which only they carried.
Mark Humphries

As I remember it

Postby Mark Humphries » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:03 pm

It doesn't seem as if we where together much as a whole platoon, much less a company. Spent most of the time in a squad. I guess that is an exaggeration! When we went out, we ( my squad ) carried at least 1000 rounds of M 60 ammo, 1 Law, 15 fraggs, 4 smoke, 3 concussion grenades.We also carried claymores ( at least 4 ) , night light (scope ),
C-ration where carried in a sock and tied around the waist or thrown over the shoulder sash style.Carried mosquito repellent in the wet season that you bathed in ( In the Bay of Reeds,Cambodia at this time ). And don't forget the bullet proof vest and steel helmet.The extra cartridges carried my the riflemen at least 2 belts around the neck and under the arm.I started out caring the M-16 , switched to the M-49, I also carried a 45 side arm at that time. All the equipment was divided so no one was over burdened. Of course the M-60 was carried my the biggest man in the unit.
Enough is enough. sorry for the rambling. m a r k
June 9th 1969 to June 8th 1970 Veitnam,
understand the shadow comment.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Thanks for reviving this string Mark

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:25 pm

I remember the c rations in a sock. That was the only thing I did with socks after I got my first case of ring worm.
11B

Postby 11B » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:08 pm

I believe we called the 79 a "blooper" because many times the 79 man would bloop the rounds , you could watch them arc in the air when in an open paddy going into the woodline. I also carried a grease gun for a short period of time that shot 45 cal rounds, I also could see these rounds as they went from the paddy into the woodline. Had to give it up cause rate of fire was just too slow. Almost felt like I was throwing the rounds. You wouldn't be able see them when in the bush itself.

Return to “Weapons, equipment, and how we did things”