Ebay and old military stuff

This is a forum for the weapons we knew about. It is also a place for remembering the equipment we carried and how and why we carried what we did.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Ebay and old military stuff

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:45 am

Right now there is a market for old military stuff from the Vietnam war. Clothes, boots, medals, equipment, etc. I noticed an offering on ebay yesterday. It was just another run of the mill field compass at a price about twice...or more, reflecting upon a couple I have bought, over what they usually bring. I opened the photos and noticed , besides photos of the compass, was a photo of me holding a compass. The guy had lifted it from this site.. or some google search. But it occurred to me that he was making an unstated link between the compass he was selling and the photo of myself.

The item is at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282041221193?eu ... Tags=bu=bu

What I sent him as a question was:

That's my picture in the photo you are showing. I posted it at my site 6thofthe31st.com. in the arty photo section. I hope you aren't suggesting that this compass is the one I'm holding in my hand in the photo. It surely isn't as you well know. How did you get the photo? Did you take it from my site? Maybe a google search for something that would suite your purpose?

What he sent back was:

in no way shape or form am i suggesting that this compass is the one in the photo. It is just showing a GI with a compass. i did find the photo on the internet in the public domain. if you have a copywright on the photo please attach a copy and i will be more then happy to remove it.I am also a vietnam vet sgt. 3rd combat support group bien hoa ab rvn 68-69

I sent him back a copy of the original showing that there is a date on it that shows the photo was printed before his compass was made. However, on the ebay it is not as obvious that there is a date.

What do you think? Is this guy gilding the lily , with my photo, to make his sale?
Attachments
original.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Ebay and old military stuff

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:51 pm

The dated photo probably came from this string.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2963&p=6644&hilit=compass#p6644
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Ebay and old military stuff

Postby Niner Delta » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:51 pm

He may not "suggesting" that it is the compass in your photo, but by lack of explanation,
it does seem to imply it's the same compass. Just another typical ebay seller skirting around
the details by letting the buyer make assumptions. Have bought over 800 items on ebay and
seen all kinds of sellers......... :roll:
Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.

Return to “Weapons, equipment, and how we did things”