Latrine Duty

This is a forum for the weapons we knew about. It is also a place for remembering the equipment we carried and how and why we carried what we did.
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Latrine Duty

Postby Ron » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:10 pm

Ok, I know this topic has come and gone over past chats, but a fellow angler of mine and a veteran of the Big Red One, sent me something of interest this past weekend. During his tour of duty, along with others like ourselves, he happened to take a few pictures of those wondrous years in using those base camp Latrines.
Link removed do to permission of editors relating to Outhouses & Latrines. Sorry!
Last edited by Ron on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pointman
Sustaining Member

Chamberlain

Postby pointman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:57 pm

Chamberlain I think it was, the locals were hired to burn the barrels. Didn't care to walk down the road and through the smoke... Not crazy either about sitting there and suddenly the barrel was pulled our from under and swapped.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

By 1970 not much shit burning by the troops

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:31 pm

It was one of those spread the wealth around to the population things. Locals were hired to burn shit when we had locals around in 1970. Gettysburg was probably the only base where GI's probably burned it because no civilians around.

My only experience was with the 101st. I had been sent there after the 9th pulled out. I tried staying at the back of the formation until all the details were given out while going through a waiting day in incountry pee training. Didn't work. Me and about three others got the detail by remaining among the last of the group. Some 1st Sgt or other high ranking NCO took our military ID's away to start with to be sure we didn't run away. But two remp buck sgts who were put in charge felt sorry for us and did most of the stick turning. All things considered it wasn't that big a deal. Kind of a come down for me though...from acting FO to shit burner. :oops:

Reminds me of a story I heard from a soldier, while in the back of a truck waiting to move out with his platoon, seeing an old Vietnamese down on his haunches next to a can of burning shit. The old man had a lizard on a stick and was roasting it. The soldier remembers the "it doesn't get any better than this " look on the old man's face like it was yesterday. Everything is relative I guess.

Return to “Weapons, equipment, and how we did things”