Ghost Watch

This is a forum for the weapons we knew about. It is also a place for remembering the equipment we carried and how and why we carried what we did.
pointman
Sustaining Member

Ghost Watch

Postby pointman » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:03 pm

Wonder if anyone else remembers waking up in the night, dreaming I guess, thinking that they had fallen asleep on watch. I would sit up, pull my weapon into my lap and begin pulling guard. After a while I would notice there were two other people on guard, and as the fog cleared realize I wasn't on guard, hadn't fallen asleep, and I would lay back down and go back to sleep.

A couple of times I saw others sit up in the middle of the night, guessed that they too were pulling an imaginary watch, and after a while saw them lay back down again.

I suppose it was the fear of falling asleep on watch, that invaded the dreams.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

I can remember one stranger than that

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:58 pm

And I did fall asleep....although maybe not officially.

As part of the FO team I was all the time thrown in with different groups of guys from different platoons on ambush. I wasn't part of any normal guard rotation, but I was always made a part of it on every ambush I was on. Somebody would just tell me that I would be woken for whatever watch and to wake up somebody else who would be whatever named guy of the platoon.

One night, after I was the acting FO, I was on watch some a few hours before dawn in one of those flooded rice paddy ambushes. It suddenly came to me that I didn't know who I was supposed to wake up when my watch was done. So I figured, rather than wake the wrong guy I'll just tough it out a couple hours until down when the ambush would be broken up anyway.

Next thing I know I'm seeing Joe Poole in front of me shaking me and asking me if I'm ok. My eye lids seem to be unable to move because there are no tears in my eyes. It's daylight and guys are up. But I had been sound asleep with my eyes open.

Joe says, " Hey man, I've been talking to you for ten minutes. Just noticed that although your eyes were open nobody was home."

It's possible to be sound asleep with your eyes open I discovered.

Return to “Weapons, equipment, and how we did things”