pictures

This is a forum for the weapons we knew about. It is also a place for remembering the equipment we carried and how and why we carried what we did.
pointman
Sustaining Member

pictures

Postby pointman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:04 pm

All of the pictures I have sent in from the Nam days were taken on my Fujica Compact 35. Can't remember if I got it on the "trailer" PX that was at Ben Luc or from the PX at Tan An, but I carried it throughout my 6/31st days. Thinking I paid about $35 in Script.

Carried it in a plastic bag, but probably soaked it several times. I am going to get some 35mm film this week end and see if it still takes a decent shot. In those days at Ben Luc, seems like only B&W film was available, which explains a lot of my pictures in that medium. But maybe it was cheaper and I was trying to save a buck.

Anyway, the "old pal" goes to the only grandson someday. Betting with the film, it will still take pictures... Let you know.
Attachments
fujica35.jpg
pointman
Sustaining Member

technical

Postby pointman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:32 pm

For you tech wizards,

s/n 7018393
accepts;
din asa
24 200
21 100
16 25
12 12

fstops:

A, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22

distance:

0.8 - infinity

lens:

38mm/2.8
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

At least you had a "real" camera

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:21 pm

I had one of those Kodak instamatics using 126 cartridge film. The negative was actually larger than a 35mm negative, which was good in a way. Too bad it isn't around as a film size any more. And I bet a good many guys had one like it. It was a good camera in that when it got wet it could be dried out and still function. I think they sold for about $15 back then.

I brought mine home and eventually it got pitched. Wish I still had it though. I had a cartridge of film that never got developed that was also pitched.

Found a close relative pictured online.
Attachments
kodak.jpg
pointman
Sustaining Member

Canon SLR

Postby pointman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:33 am

On the way home from Japan bought a duty free, PX priced, Canon FT SLR . Even there it was over a hundred dollars. I considered a Nikkon, which was the top of the line and was priced like it, but bought the Canon instead. I used this camera up to the electronic age, when I bought a Canon S400, and since an SD1000.

My wife had a point and shoot 35mm Canon and now uses an SD1100. I guess I have stuck to the Canon and had good luck.

This one will probably go to the grandson as well. Hope he can find 35mm film by then. I always turned my nose up at other sizes, saying that they come and go, but 35mm is forever. Not sure now.
Attachments
slr (Medium).jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Yep....sad end of the trail maybe

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:35 am

I have a few shares of Kodak which really hit the skids before the big Wall Street mortgage finance bomb. I bought some shares for 22.44 a year or two ago and as of yesterday Kodak is worth 2.24 a share. That's a bigger percentage loss than Ford and some other stock I am watching sink out of sight along with it.

I like Cannon too. However I have more Pentax cameras, including two digital ones that I actually use now days. I had this photo for a collection topic at my other site.
Attachments
cameras.jpg
pointman
Sustaining Member

3d

Postby pointman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:12 pm

I got a little crazy one day and sent off for a 3D camera made by Vivitar. It uses 35mm film and regular developing. Inside that hood are two mirrors about 2-1/4" apart, that take two angles of the shot and put them together. I have a viewer for it, but you can also look at the picture crosseyed and get the 3D also.
Attachments
viewer (Medium).JPG
viewer
3d (Medium).jpg
camera
pointman
Sustaining Member

3d pictures

Postby pointman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:18 pm

samples
Attachments
harpers.jpg
Harper's Ferry
jamestown.jpg
Jamestown
antietem.jpg
Antietem
jtier
Sustaining Member

Camera

Postby jtier » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:03 pm

I had one of those Instamatic cameras also. I took many pictures with it.

It went to the bottom of the river in my water incident with all my gear.

I never got another camera I don't know if the PX didn't have them or whatever. I do remember that film was always tough to come by so I was using a place in Palo Alto, CA. that would send me back a fresh roll if you prepaid for it.

I wish I had bought another camera because I have no pics of Gettysburg or from the end of my tour.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Floyd wanted me to post this for him.

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:12 pm

Until I get my feet wet this is what I'll have to do.This is the type camera I used until my wife needed tires for her car and I sold it to a guy going on R&R.If you could add this info on the forum I would appreciate it.Floyd E. Most of the pictures on the site were taken with that camera.
Attachments
210.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Polaroid photos lasted longer than I would have thought

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:26 pm

At least the only one I have in my collection has lasted as good as the regular processed prints..maybe a little better than some.

Somebody, can't remember for sure who, had a Polaroid camera and took a picture of me to sent home to my girl. He charged me a $1 as I remember. Can Giouc, about February of 1970. Back PSP covered deck of Alpha HQ barracks.
Attachments
ScanImage001.jpg
jtier
Sustaining Member

Camera

Postby jtier » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:22 pm

Niner where did ya get those designer glasses? :lol:
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Designer?

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:50 pm

They were regulation issue frames.

Pretty tough too as I remember. Used to collect bug juice finger prints in the plastic frames though. :lol:

Return to “Weapons, equipment, and how we did things”