Ashes and the Wall

Subjects about any topic that comes to mind are welcome here.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Ashes and the Wall

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:45 pm

Saw this story in the local paper. Guy promised his brother shortly before he died that he would take his ashes to the Wall in Washington and leave them. The park service collects whatever is left there...all sorts of stuff.....including ashes of dead veterans left there. Only now.... enough is enough.. the Park Service wants to clean out their safe of ashes containers and get the word out so people will stop doing this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/fa ... 0f893c61be

Gives one pause to think about how sad this is.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Ashes and the Wall

Postby Niner Delta » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:55 pm

I can understand why the park service wants people to stop leaving remains.....
what should they do with them?? But I also understand why some want to be left there, especially
those with little or no family. I would never consider it because my remains will be in the family
plot, with my wife, sister, and parents. My half of the dual granite headstone is just waiting
for my plaque..... hopefully not too soon.... :D
Vern.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:36 am

I think, if it were up to me, I'd like my ashes scattered at my favorite fishing reef or another place where I have happy memories. Then again, if my wife should go first, that notion would likely change to a lot in a cemetery to be more conventional... like keeping the socks paired up or the spoon and the fork in the same drawer. Maybe I could do both.... scatter some where I want to be and bury the rest where my duty lies. Being planted in the ground would also be revenge to own some property that didn't require taxes and insurance every year.

When I read that story about the guy driving from Texas to the Wall to leave a container of his brothers ashes I got to thinking it could make a sad movie. Kind of a "Taking Chance" movie with some made up drama or maybe how Lonesome Dove ends and the Captain takes Gus back to a spot by the river while the corpse bounces around and goes through all sorts of adventures. Yet, that Wall story belongs in the movies and not in real life.

I like to think we, mostly, grew past that Vietnam experience and the last place we want to be deposited isn't the Wall.

Maybe they could put in a big container like the Good Will uses with a flapping door. People could drop off their ashes donations and every so often the contents could be hauled over to Arlington.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:46 pm

There really isn't any place that is so special to me that I would want my ashes scattered.
So I will be with the ones I loved the most, hopefully I go before my sons.
A while back I decided to take care of things, so everything is already set and paid for. My plaque
will match my wife's and all my kids have to do when I die is get me to the body burner.
There will be no service, if the kids want to throw a "celebration", that's the only thing not already
paid for.

Vern.

Return to “Shooting the Breeze”