Civil War Statues

Subjects about any topic that comes to mind are welcome here.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Civil War Statues

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:47 pm

With the nut case NeoNazi's and KKK members that protested the removal of a statue of Robert E. Lee.... in Virginia...his home state.. with flags and dumb looking shields and back yard tiki torches the statue removal movement has gathered some serious momentum. And the actions of a 20 year old with an established mental condition that killed one and injured several has pretty much sealed the fate of every Civil War Confederate related statue everywhere. What do Nazi's have to do with Civil War statues, anyway? There weren't any Nazi's at the time of the US Civil War. And if the KKK ever erected anything but wooden crosses for burning I never heard about it.

In Baltimore...a city that was never in the Confederacy... the mayor ordered several statues with Confederacy connections taken down and removed last night. What she is going to do with them is anybodies guess ..but melt then down would be likely.

In Mobile there are two statues that come to mind with Confederate connections. The most prominent is of Admiral Semmes who commanded the Confederate raider Alabama and played hell with Yankee commerce ships. Then there is the statue of Abram Joseph Ryan. He was a priest and billed as the Poet Priest of the Confederacy. Neither of these figures from history owned any slaves and for Semmes at least, the conflict was all about States being free to go their own way and, to him, it was all about the principle of the thing. Back in those days people were loyal to their state and thought the federal government a function needful for the necessary governing of commerce between states and foreign trade and other things of like nature but held the states individually sovereign and of prime importance. This notion was ended by the outcome of the war.

I give some money now and then to the Civil War Preservation Trust. It buys up land where Civil War battles have been fought to preserve them from being a McDonalds or parking lots or new housing tracks. Maybe, instead of melting or hiding these historic symbols of the past, they could be moved to some of these parks to remind people that the US does have a history and historical figures should be judged by the times they lived and not ours.

Trump.. although given hell lately over this Charlottesville incident was prescient about one thing. What about Washington and Jefferson statues? They owned slaves. Should they go too? And remember in recent months when Princeton was going to take Woodrow Wilson's name off of a building because they decided he was a bigot? Wilson was president of Princeton before he was president of the US. But cooler heads must have prevailed as they didn't remove his name.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Re: Civil War Statues

Postby Delta75 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:35 pm

The white supremacists and the Neo-Nazis were just using the statue as an excuse for their protest. From their chants one could see that they could care less about Confederate statues. I assume that the statues might mean something to the KKK members who were there....but....they are in reality just another white supremacy group. I am sure that there was also a smattering of people who were there to actually protest the removal of the statue.....United Daughters of the Confederacy, Sons of the Confederacy, etc.

After Trumps comments yesterday, things are really in an uproar. If he had stuck with the position that he had taken on Monday, I believe that, after time, this might have died down. Now, however, the alt-right feels empowered, and I am afraid that all hell is going to break loose at the alt-right protests that are scheduled for the near future.

In my opinion Trump has been a total disaster and will go down in history as the worst president in American history. I certainly didn't want Hillary but, based on his extreme comments, I was worried about Trump; however, I was willing to give him a chance, because I had always hoped for a businessman in the White House. Sadly he has turned out to be more of a con-artist than an businessman. Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed and the sooner he is gone, the better.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Postby Delta75 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:24 pm

I saw an excellent suggestion that someone posted in response to a Yahoo news article related to Trump not wanting to see these "beautiful statues removed". The suggestion was that "Since Trump claims to be a billionaire, why doesn't he buy all of the statues and put them into a Confederate museum?" This would allow the statues to remain for all of those who would like to view them...while...at the same time...removing them from sight of people who find them disturbing.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:23 am

Trump gives the left in general a lot of ammunition. The media is on a tirade against him. The late night talk show hosts are pillorying him relentlessly. Every misstep is reported and magnified where previous Presidents often were given a pass for more notable gaffs. Colbert would gladly lead the mob that would tar and feather him and run him out of Washington as he attacks Trump every single night that he has a show. All the late night tv host crowd get more bold in denunciations every passing night. No previous President has ever been as denounced publicly. Meanwhile Trump continues to hold rallies for the faithful thus insuring the divide between otherwise rational citizens between those who see him as a dangerous buffoon and those who see him as a champion of "truth, justice and the American way" . This is more frightening to me than the fate of Confederate statues....and than all the right wing nut groups.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:28 pm

The Mayor of Seattle is a real left wing nut job, and luckily he will be replaced soon, probably by another
liberal nut job, that's all they know in Seattle....... :roll: ......Same thing with the Governor of WA..... :roll:
Anyway, there is a Confederate monument in one of the oldest cemeteries in Seattle, put up in 1926 by
Daughters of Confederates, I think. The cemetery is home to many of the original pioneers of the area, and to Bruce Lee
and his son, so it does get some foot traffic. So now the nut job mayor, while sipping his Starbucks, thinks that the
stone arch memorial should come down, even though it's not even a statue of a person. (see photo below)
Now here is the kicker, the cemetery is privately owned and the city has no authority about what goes on there...... :lol: :lol:
So now the city and the cemetery are both lawyered up and we are just waiting to see what happens.
Also there is a statue of Lenin somewhere in the city that he wants gone also...but it too is on private property......
stay tuned..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Attachments
monument.jpg
Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Here is an idea from the cartoonist in the Mobile paper.

Offended by monumental Confederate erections? Got you covered

If it lasts for more than four hours call your Congressman.
Attachments
cartoon.jpg
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Attachments
65.jpg
Vern

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:27 pm

Maybe the solution would be to trade that R.E. Lee statue for this one.
Attachments
statue.jpg
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:43 pm

Well, I'm speechless............ :shock:

Vern

Return to “Shooting the Breeze”