I don't watch Bill Maher as a rule ....and I generally wouldn't sympathise with him

Subjects about any topic that comes to mind are welcome here.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

I don't watch Bill Maher as a rule ....and I generally wouldn't sympathise with him

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:13 pm

He's a talk show comedian and social commentator on HBO. He does not shy away from political comments that place him in line with "liberal" versions of truth, justice and the American way. He is, to me, whatever his political thoughts, a little self important and obnoxious most of the time, and accordingly I do not watch his show. He crossed a political correctness line the other day that he would ordinarily be abiding and promoting while "cleverly" attempting humor. I did, surprisingly, feel a little sympathy for him after I heard about it.

HBO is facing calls to fire Bill Maher from his talkshow after he used the N-word in a conversation with the Nebraska senator, Ben Sasse. HBO called the comment “inexcusable and tasteless” and said it would be removed from any subsequent airing of the show.

Discussing his new book on Real Time with Bill Maher on Friday evening, Sasse (Nebraska Senator) told Maher he would be welcome in Nebraska as “we’d love to have you work in the fields with us”.

“Work in the fields?” Maher replied. “Senator, I’m a house nigger.”

The audience laughed and groaned, with some applause. Sasse kept quiet, before Maher said: “No, it’s a joke.”

DeRay McKesson, a Black Lives Matter activist and former Baltimore mayoral candidate, led the criticism on social media. “Bill Maher has got to go,” he wrote. “There are no explanations that make this acceptable.”

McKesson added: “And why does the audience think it was OK to laugh? And Ben Sasse doesn’t even flinch. What is happening in the world?.........

The pressure on Maher follows CNN’s firing of the comedian Kathy Griffin, who said at a press conference on Friday that Donald Trump was “trying to ruin my life for ever” after she was pictured holding a mock-up of the US president’s severed head.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... -ben-sasse

Plenty of other notables jumped on the hold Maher accountable bus.

But... just a week or two before Stephen Colbert ........After a fiery takedown of the president, who has been nothing but good for his ratings, Colbert said, "The only thing your mouth is good for is being Vladimir Putin’s (bleeped dick word) holster." Colbert was "joking" about the President, and supporters of the President pretty much looked the other way. Although the FCC did look at it and thought it was ok. CBS loves Colbert since blasting Trump has been good for ratings. They sure aren't going to censure Colbert for upping their advertisement rates on his show. Griffin, on the other hand who did get a hand spank, is making herself out to be a martyr for loss of work including her strange , but real, Squatty Potty commercial.

Maybe there should be an outrage chart to show degrees of outrage and resulting degrees of public shunning and a elected judiciary to hand out appropriate punishment. Maybe Griffin should have to do the Squatty Potty video until somebody actually buys one. Maybe Maher should be kicked out of the house and made to work in the fields. Maybe Colbert should ...well .. nevermind. That is over the line for sure as pubic punishment. :oops:
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: I don't watch Bill Maher as a rule ....and I generally wouldn't sympathise with him

Postby Niner Delta » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:59 pm

Yikes... in the middle of typing my reply, I got the BSOD (blue screen of death) which says that Windows
has shut down so it doesn't kill itself. Hope this isn't the first shot of future computer problems, although I do
have 4 other desktops and 2 laptops to fall back on...... :lol:

Anyway, back to my reply......again....
I do not watch or like Griffin, Maher, or Colbert. So if they all disappeared from view, I would be happy.
What I do remember is the big deal they made when it was reported that Paula Dean had made racial slurs and
had used the "N-word" in the distant past. A lawsuit was brought against her, but dismissed and she was said
not guilty. But in the meantime, she lost deals and endorsements, she had tv cooking programs, publishing deals
and endorsement contracts cancelled. Before she was found not guilty!!
Now Maher said it right in front of cameras, so toss him out, he is obviously guilty....... :evil:

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.

Return to “Shooting the Breeze”