Anybody still looking at this site?

Subjects about any topic that comes to mind are welcome here.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Anybody still looking at this site?

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:26 pm

I know Vern Weed and Jerry White look in fairly regularly. I know my weekly chat group looks in once in awhile. The site needs some adjustments...like the spam catcher in the guestbook that is out of date. Spambots get around the captcha every day and I delete them. There are some other things...like adjustments to the Wall page headings and adjustments to a few other things. But.... I told my son it's not worth fixing a site that nobody looks at any longer. No point in wasting his time. Everybody still living from the 6th of the 31st who are regularly online show up on facebook posting stuff about their pets, grandchildren, how patriotic they are, and whatever their political notions are and all sorts of other things. Current stuff ... certainly understandable....but that was never what this site was about as its purpose for existing.

This site has been about a time and place that most of us carried around inside of us for a lot of years after Vietnam.... and before the internet became a means of mass communication. And when the internet became an almost magic means of communication, this site was born to make connections with guys we served with during perilous times now long ago. This site has been about discovering that we aren't alone and the others we remember have similar memories and that we remember each other very vividly even if our stories may not always align completely in detail. "I'm ok. You're Ok"...NOW... before we felt, and were in most cases, all alone with our memories. This site has served the purpose of making connections better than I had reason to hope for in the beginning. However... maybe nobody needs the night light anymore. And maybe that's good. Maybe it's time to bury our long gone past for good.

Last guy I had contact with who was having a hard time remembering his old user name contacted me because what he thought was his user name wasn't. I went though a lot of search and guess and found it for him. He checked it out and he could log in. Did he post anything? Hell no. Just jerking my chain.....or his own chain.

How about it...anybody out there? Anybody who will go to the trouble to login and post something? Anybody find this site worth continuing?
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Re: Anybody still looking at this site?

Postby Delta75 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:47 pm

Niner....I was beginning to worry about you in that you had not posted in quite a while. I was going to email you to make sure that you were ok. As you noted Vern and I check in frequently; however, it appears that you are correct.....our other men have moved on. I guess they have found all of their buddies that they are interested in finding. I did try to generate some interest by copying several men on the links to my 2011 photos when they responded with interest to my recent email offering information to any men interested in returning for a visit to Vietnam...but.....it appears that, if they followed up on the links at all, their viewing of the website stopped there. It seems that everyone but me is a Facebook fan. I guess they consider older website formats such as this as obsolete.

I would especially hate to see us lose the Wall, Bluebook, and Photo information....and this would certainly happen if you closed this site.....but....if I were you, I wouldn't put any more time and/or money into modifying the website. Sad....for without a doubt, your website is the best military unit website out there.

It looks more and more like the 2015 Branson Reunion was indeed our last 6/31st hurrah......it would not have happened without your website...so...consider it a job well done, but maybe it's time that we just ride off into the sunset like in an old western movie.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:08 pm

Have been checking in almost daily for so long that I'm not sure what I would do if the site went away... :shock:
Most days there are no new posts and I move on, since I rarely have anything worthwhile to add. This has
been a great site for a lot of years, but at this point I agree with you both that I wouldn't put a lot of time
and money into the repairs. There is a lot of info and great photos here and I would hate to see it all just
disappear, and I'm more than willing to help donate to keep it alive, if only just limping along...... :mrgreen:
Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:37 pm

Thanks Vern...but my concern isn't about money. Saw you posted something else today. I appreciate it.

I'm not planning on closing the site any time soon. But if it should have some major problem from some unforeseen thing, like has happened before, it won't be reborn again. Just wondering if it still serves any purpose and if anybody seeing it would take the time to say so. Looks like, other than you and Jerry.....not.

Return to “Shooting the Breeze”