Got a hand held gps and want to map trips?

Subjects about any topic that comes to mind are welcome here.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Got a hand held gps and want to map trips?

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:22 pm

There used to be a program made by some Australians that would convert gps readings to a map taken from a screen grab from Google Earth. This company went by the board I think, although their free demo software worked fine with a little brain strain for someone like me in matching the program coordinates to the Google map grab. However, I've learned from my brother and fishing buddy, that now it can all be done simply with Google Earth and a handheld Garmin that can link to your computer. Just go to Google earth. Plug in your Garmin to your computer and then hit the tools option in Google Earth. Then hit the GPS selection and a menu appears. It will down load your saved tracks and you can then pick any one of them by clicking. Neat for keeping fishing records if you travel over a lot of different territory. Google earth will even do a screen grab for you to save as a jpg. For me... looks like all I had recorded were basically on the same track. Largely, this is because I use the GPS to find my way to Bender Austill reef or as a speed indicator.
Attachments
dash.jpg
handheld.jpg
menu.jpg
larger.jpg
track.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Got a hand held gps and want to map trips?

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:38 am

From yesterday. In the Mobile Delta on a bass boat. The Google Earth picks up a lot more detail than the Garmin. The bridge that has been there for decades...with a lift installed a couple or three years ago to replace a swinging section...doesn't show on the Garmin at all. It does show clearly on the Google Earth. The bridge is at the bottom of the top to bottom longer track where the dog leg to the right happens.
Attachments
dead lake.jpg
bridge.jpg
horrizontal.jpg

Return to “Shooting the Breeze”