The anti Trump movement and our war

Subjects about any topic that comes to mind are welcome here.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

The anti Trump movement and our war

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:17 pm

Elizabeth Warren does her Harpy thing decrying Trump and his administration and all sorts of people rally around. Famous movie stars, most of the media, and all the late night talk show hosts, are onboard with that sentiment and enthusiastically lambast the Trump administration every night, even though he hasn't really done much of anything yet. It's a "movement" to "push back" and loudly protest ...anything Trump or his acolytes do is anathema. The revolution is coming in some way or another according to them. Hopefully it comes peacefully.

I write this because I just read about Tom Hayden's book .... his legacy... as it is being published after his death. In it he laments that the Peace Movement of our war didn't get a monument like the Civil Rights people or any other previous great "movement".

Part of the reason was that the peace movement against Vietnam wasn't monolithic but made up of a lot of different people from little old lady church members to Black Panthers. Bible thumpers to bomb throwers. And .. the bomb throwers are the problem. Another very good reason he probably never thought of is that Wall in Washington DC lists the people who died in that war. And.. that his name isn't on it is his reward. Shouldn't that have been enough for him?

“Every time they burn another building,” said one Nixon administration official in 1970, “Republican registration goes up.” Or as the Weatherman leader Mark Rudd told me about the organization’s role in dismantling SDS: “If I had been an FBI agent, I couldn’t have done it better.”

Amazing how nobody protests our perpetual Muslim "terrorist" war. Maybe because there is no draft and maybe because drone bombs seem "surgically" humane....or if not that .. they are being used in countries on the other side of the world from us and we never see the dead bodies. Maybe because of the "thank you for your service" thing, or the flag waving at every major sporting event with both the National Anthem and God Bless America all choreographed to keep the "patriots" being patriotic....and we are all just numb to it all.

The book title is: Hell No: The Forgotten Power of the Vietnam Peace Movement

Return to “Shooting the Breeze”