Interesting problems with Ford Explorer...

Subjects about any topic that comes to mind are welcome here.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Interesting problems with Ford Explorer...

Postby Niner Delta » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:17 pm

4 months ago I bought a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport, it has the 3.5L V-6 Ecoboost engine and 38,000 miles.
One of the reasons I got it was the 365hp, twin turbo-charged, faster than I should ever go, engine.... :shock:
It is really fun to drive. After having it for a couple of months, one day I pulled out to pass a car and when I
floored it....nothing....pumped the gas pedal and it took off like a rocket. After it happened again, I kept it
floored and I coasted to a stop, luckily on a back road, while trying to impress my buddy with my new hot rod.
Neither of us were impressed. Off to Ford dealer where I bought it. They said we know what the problem is,
a "known issue" with the throttle body, but there are 20,000 of them on backorder. So here is a rental car, we
will call you when the part is in..... Three weeks later I get the call, it's all fixed, they replaced the throttle body
.....great. Two days later it did it again and I coasted to a stop with the gas pedal floored, again I back it off a
half inch and take off like a rocket.
Back to dealer, they keep it overnight, do every test they can think of and can't find anything wrong.
They give me the car back and say they are bumping it up to the next level at Ford to see if they have any
ideas about what is wrong....and suggest I don't floor it in the meantime. I asked the two guys in the service
dept. if they were sure that Ford gave them an "improved" throttle body and not the same thing I already had.
They both got that 'deer in the headlights' look and said they were sure Ford wouldn't do that.....right.
That was last week, will give them a few more days before this gets ugly. Other than that, car runs perfect
and no dash warning lights and no fault codes. So far it hasn't cost me a dime, will see what happens next.

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Interesting problems with Ford Explorer...

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:37 am

That particular model has one of those computer chip controls doesn't it? Works kinda like the remote control for your tv only controls your engine operation and acceleration. And don't trust me on this, I've been out of the business for just about nine years since I retired and am not up on the latest product knowledge. However, that looks like to me something that Ford may need to do a complete recall on and do a rethink. But.. don't worry. Ford always does the right thing....after they have tried everything else.

Return to “Shooting the Breeze”