Who is Urban Miyares?

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Who is Urban Miyares?

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun May 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Remember Karl Lowe was going to confront him just before he died? Remember the 31st Association not wanting to touch Miyares with a ten foot pole and turned their backs and buried their collective heads in the sand. Heads that are still under the sand. Anybody know where any of our "Regiment commanders", all 6/31st men, from the last decade and more are? Where is the general that is the honorary commander? Where is the Senior Advisor? Where are the board of directors? Where is that lawyer that acts as the Regiments legal advisor..... all of whom have a vested interest in protecting the honor of the "Regiment". But...thinking about the financial statement and what I learned about how they handled that....don't anybody hold your breath that any of them will suddenly come up for air and get to feeling a sudden sense of responsibility.

I think we should wait a bit and see what his "autobiography" says. When it goes on Amazon you can leave a critique. If he signed a deal it should surface before too long. He can't delete what is written on Amazon. He can on the facebook page.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Sun May 14, 2017 6:22 pm

How are we going to know what his autobiography says, I'm sure as hell not going to pay to
buy his book of bullshit.......... :evil:

Vern.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun May 14, 2017 7:25 pm

My daughter is a librarian. I can borrow a copy to read for free. Another thing... Amazon lets you read a few pages for free. I'm sure the big hero story will start it off so I won't have to read far.

On second thought....he's just another phony. The world is full of them. And.. he knows others know he is lying now so maybe he will have that in the back of his mind when the book is published. Maybe that's some punishment in itself.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Postby Delta75 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:27 am

After all my discussions (via email) with Urban, I don't believe that thinks that he is lying, I believe that he has convinced himself that his story is "true".

I wonder what ever happened to that guy who was a former member of Urban's "organization" who was trying to "get the goods" on him? I remember sending him all the information that we had dug up on Urban, but, after sending him the material, he seemed to disappear.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:44 am

Niner...since you are on Facebook, maybe you could post your comment in reference to Urban's Facebook on the 6/31st Facebook page and include the following section of the 4 pages that I had provided Urban.

Urban, in reference to your statement that you were placed into a body bag and found alive 2 days later in Lai Khe. You said that you “arrived” at this incident in order to explain 2 missing days from when you were inserted into a firefight and when you awoke later in the hospital in Saigon.

Several concerns here:

• You mentioned that both you and the medic (Brian) wondered how you could have ended up at Lai Khe, and the answer is “You could not have”. Lai Khe was part of the 1st Division area of operation (AO) and well outside the 6/31st_9th Division AO. You would never have been taken to Lai Khe. Depending upon your condition, you would have been taken to either Tan An, Dong Tam or Saigon.
• Per our 6/31st medics, with the heat and humidity in our AO, there is no way that a person in a diabetic coma could have survived 2 days in a body bag. In addition, as soon as a body bag arrived at the morgue, the body was placed in refrigeration to prevent decomposition. Thus, the Lai Khe medic probably "did" find a live person just prior to placing the body into refrigeration, but that person could not have been you.
• Additionally, if by some miracle this incident had occurred, Alpha Company would have been notified in order for them to modify their casualty list. Per the Alpha chain of command, this never happened, and, if it had, they would never have forgotten about it.

Based upon the information above, we believe that:

1. You were not placed in a body bag. Our guess is that you were probably medevac’d from the field due to what the medic initially thought to be either a heat stroke or heat exhaustion. This was not an uncommon occurrence with new men who had not yet adjusted to the heat and humidity of the Delta.
2. Upon arrival at the Saigon hospital, it was finally determined that you were suffering from a severe diabetic condition, and treated accordingly. Note: The two days that you state were “missing” were probably due to a combination of your body recovering from the initial shock of the diabetic incident and the medication that you had been given upon your arrival at the hospital.
3. After it was determined that you were severely diabetic, you were shipped from Saigon to Japan and later to a medical hospital in the USA where you stayed until you were discharged from the service.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon May 15, 2017 10:24 am

That's an idea. However, I think it would be premature and ineffective at the moment to post it on the 6/31st page or the 31st Regiment page. First... everybody that sees and participates in those pages, which can't be a large number, are mainly interested in making or seeing the latest "look at me post". That's what facebook is about.

Miyares hasn't been a topic on the 6/31st or 31st facebook page in several years. His book isn't published yet. His notoriety is at a low ebb....beyond a San Diego morning tv show and local radio show. If it is published and sold on Amazon you could leave a review.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Mon May 15, 2017 3:05 pm

I left a short comment on his You Tube video, wonder how long it will stay there....... :roll:

Vern.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:14 pm

Vern...I didn't see your comment...so...I left the following comment....I'll bet that it doesn't stay up long either.

Urban, in reference to your statement that you were placed into a body bag and found alive 2 days later in Lai Khe. You said that you “arrived” at this incident in order to explain 2 missing days from when you were inserted into a firefight and when you awoke later in the hospital in Saigon.

Several concerns here:

• You mentioned that both you and the medic (Brian) wondered how you could have ended up at Lai Khe, and the answer is “You could not have”. Lai Khe was part of the 1st Division area of operation (AO) and well outside the 6/31st_9th Division AO. You would never have been taken to Lai Khe. Depending upon your condition, you would have been taken to either Tan An, Dong Tam or Saigon.
• Per our 6/31st medics, with the heat and humidity in our AO, there is no way that a person in a diabetic coma could have survived 2 days in a body bag. In addition, as soon as a body bag arrived at the morgue, the body was placed in refrigeration to prevent decomposition. Thus, the Lai Khe medic probably "did" find a live person just prior to placing the body into refrigeration, but that person could not have been you.
• Additionally, if by some miracle this incident had occurred, Alpha Company would have been notified in order for them to modify their casualty list. Per the Alpha chain of command, this never happened, and, if it had, they would never have forgotten about it.

Based upon the information above, we believe that:

1. You were not placed in a body bag. Our guess is that you were probably medevac’d from the field due to what the medic initially thought to be either a heat stroke or heat exhaustion. This was not an uncommon occurrence with new men who had not yet adjusted to the heat and humidity of the Delta.
2. Upon arrival at the Saigon hospital, it was finally determined that you were suffering from a severe diabetic condition, and treated accordingly. Note: The two days that you state were “missing” were probably due to a combination of your body recovering from the initial shock of the diabetic incident and the medication that you had been given upon your arrival at the hospital.
3. After it was determined that you were severely diabetic, you were shipped from Saigon to Japan and later to a medical hospital in the USA where you stayed until you were discharged from the service.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:37 pm

Vern....please post your YouTube comment again....I see that what is presently showing as "Comment 1" is blank.

Jerry
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon May 15, 2017 4:02 pm

Saw your youtube post, Jerry. I gave it a thumbs up...after I figured out how to login. Anybody else....???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAfzX6HtS7s
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Looks like my email to 29 Alpha Company men from 68, 68/69 have some men looking at the YouTube link. Prior to my email, the YouTube link had 73 Views...it now has 84. There are also now 4 "thumbs up" on my comment. Wonder how long before the first "thumbs down" appears. :)
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:27 am

Reference Urban Miyares continued "body bag" claim:

I saved the email "stream" between Urban and I as it related to the "body bag" incident.....you will see how Urban "arrived" at this tale to explain 2 days that he could not account for prior to regaining consciousness in the Saigon hospital. In other words, years later, a 1st Infantry Division medic in Lai Khe who had found a live person in a body bag contacted Urban after reading about his "story". Then he and the medic got to talking, and this seemed, to both Urban and the medic, to "explain" what happened during Urban's "missing" 2 days. That is, it must have been Urban in that body bag, even though the medic was in the 1st Inf AO and Urban had been in the 9th AO. As you can see....no one ever actually told Urban that he had been placed in a body bag....he simply "arrived" at that tale based on his need to explain what happened during those "missing" 2 days.

Email string starts below:

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 11:58 AM, Urban Miyares <urban@disabledbusiness.com> wrote:
Jerry,

When I woke up from my diabetic coma, someone (a thin, black, Spec 4, who I think he said his name was Leonard?) came by my bedside to say he was just there checking up on me...and then the doctors came in to tell me I had diabetes, and I never heard from this Spec 4 again. I didn't believe him...but then found out from the nurse that I arrived at the Saigon hospital just a few hours earlier, and that was 2 days -- that I remember -- since we left that morning on the chopper. Two days were missing that I have no recount of./.

It was this reason why I kept the incident quiet and didn't tell anyone, as I didn't know if it was true, and I couldn't prove it. I didn't tell anyone until I told my wife in 1992, after having seen doctors/therapists form my nightmares and anxiety issues -- which I had been having for years, to include some serious bouts of depression..

Urban

To: Urban Miyares
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:10 AM
Subject: [Norton AntiSpam]Re: [Norton AntiSpam]Re: [Norton AntiSpam]Re: [Norton AntiSpam]Re: [Norton AntiSpam]Re: Questions of Service

Urban.....So no one specifically told you that you had been placed in a body bag? You just knew that 2 days were missing. Then later you heard about Brian Leet finding a man alive in a body bag at Lai Khe and assumed that it was you....since the soldier was shipped to Saigon and you had just arrived at Saigon...thus explaining the missing 2 days?

Best regards
Jerry

Urban Miyares <urban@disabledbusiness.com>
To
Jerry White
03/19/14 at 12:58 PM
Somewhat...Brian and I didn't connect until 2003, after he read a Holiday letter (Dec. 2002) by the DAV with my story. We talked for a while on the phone (a number of times) trying to compare notes, of what I//we remembered and somehow the time it all happened blended. But neither of us have ever received a confirmation.

I've told Brian that I can't imagine how I got to his medical unit, as Brian was with the 1st Infantry.

End of email string.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue May 16, 2017 9:14 am

Jerry, maybe guys haven't gotten into full indignation mode yet. How about this story by a "reporter" on a diabetes related site: He grew up in Manhattan, a good athlete with a love of sailing but little interest in college. In 1967, he was drafted by the Army and one year later was sent to South Vietnam as a 20-year-old Army platoon sergeant, a strapping 5’10”, 182 pounder with a wedding band on his finger. He had married his childhood sweetheart, JoAnn, during basic training.

Miyares was in Vietnam only a few weeks before he began to feel ill. Losing weight and feeling sluggish, he went to the sick hall and was tested for malaria. The results were negative, and he was diagnosed with battle fatigue. He would return to the sick hall several times. Once he was diagnosed with peptic ulcers and given Maalox, which fit nicely in his ammunition bag. But his health continued to deteriorate. On combat missions, his backpack alone weighed 50 to 60 pounds, and the jungle heat wore everyone down. When Miyares complained of fatigue, his commanding officer suspected he was angling to go home and threatened to drop him in rank.

Finally, on August 12, 1968, another blistering hot day, Miyares’s platoon was ferried by helicopter to a village in the Mekong Delta that had come under attack, but he never made it. While walking through a field, he began to vomit, his vision was blurred, and he thought he heard mortar bombs. He recalls some yelling and screaming and falling over and hitting water covered with rice paddies. Then all went black.

https://diatribe.org/issues/27/logbook

The real truth, off the top of my head, :

He was in Vietnam for no more than four weeks, including hospital time and pee training.
That's 17 days from time of entry into Vietnam and the August 12 incident he claims happened.
Subtract out of those 17 days incountry processing, Division assignment, Pee training, assorted medical hitches with his medical condition.....
Nobody, including his alpha CO and first sergeant remember him at all.
He was a buck sgt. and not a platoon leader...not even a squad leader.
If he was in "combat" he never earned a CIB. His only military awards were the National Defense ribbon and the trip medal to Vietnam been there medal.
Even the guy reporting th4e above Miyares story doesn't put in a part about a body bag.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:29 am

Niner...Yes...I also saw and read this post.

Per our 4 page letter to Urban, Karl and I didn't believe that he ever actually reported in to Alpha Company. We believe that he probably fell into his diabetic coma while on a "field trip" with the Reliable Academy (or whatever it was called in 1968). It appears that they had already assigned him to Alpha (thus the reason that it shows on his DD214); however, he was apparently medivac'ed to Saigon before he ever saw Alpha...thus...the reason, per TOP Bennett, that he appeared on none of the Alpha rosters that were in TOP's possession.

Yes...per our trace of his military records, it appears that he spent only one month in-country before being evac'ed to Japan and, after Japan, to the USA facility from which he was later discharged from the Army.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:51 am

Requirements for the Combat Infantry Badge (CIB) in Vietnam.

A Soldier must meet the following three requirements to be awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB):

(1) Be an infantryman satisfactorily performing infantry duties.
(2) Be assigned to an infantry unit during such time as the unit is engaged in active ground combat.
(3) Actively engage the enemy in ground combat.

Since, per his military records, Urban was "not" awarded the CIB, it appears that he met the first two requirements; however, "not" the third; that is, he never "actively engaged the enemy in ground combat".
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue May 16, 2017 11:19 am

I noticed the same thing, Jerry. I'll send you a copy of an email I'm sending in a minute, to this guy. Tom Vogt who wrote this story.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2011/aug/ ... hallenges/
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue May 16, 2017 2:02 pm

For those new to this story and what Miyares alleges about his history, there remains a youtube recording of him being a speaker at an American Airlines Sky Ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy_tx1asnMA

And yet another telling...slightly different details in his signature story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB3NQgvz6zw
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:15 pm

Niner...we all know that Urban was never placed in a body bag and flown to Lai Khe, but did you ever wonder what happened to the soldier that Brian Leet "actually" found alive in a body bag? I wonder if he survived?
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed May 17, 2017 5:49 pm

I got a feeling that if Leet found a real live soldier in a body bag he would have remembered his name. And I think the soldier found would have inquired at some point who found him if he had lived. But whoever that soldier may have been... he wasn't Miyares. I got a strong feeling Leet never found any live soldier in a body bag.

By the way, Chuck Thrush, who was in the Big Red One found Leet's name in the Division Association Roster and called him up and asked him some questions, knowing about the concerns of a collection of us. Leet was not very forthcoming about the details of finding the live body in the bag. His explanation of the 9th soldier in the 1st Division body collection was that there must have been some really big joint operation going on at the time.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:21 pm

I just posted this comment to the YouTube episode. Any "thumbs up" would be appreciated, and make these "facts" more believable.

Urban, we of the 6th/31st, 9th Infantry Division, Vietnam 1968 - 1970, would ask that you please provide us with the names of any 6th/31st men with whom you served in Vietnam. You state that you were assigned to Alpha Company in 1968; however, your name does not appear on any of the Alpha rosters for 1968 still in possession of the Alpha 1st Sergeant. Our 6th/31st roster presently contains 3,185 men...your name is not on the roster. When we contacted the Alpha men from 1968, to include the Commanding Officer (CO), the 1st Sergeant, the Company Supply Clerk, the Company Clerk, and the Alpha Senior Medic, no one remembers you. Looking at your military record, via the Freedom of Information Act, it appears that you were in Vietnam for only one month. Considering that you would have spent 2 weeks in in-country training, and apparently 1 week in the hospital in Saigon, this would leave only one week remaining. It thus appears, that since you appear on no Alpha Company roster, you probably never actually reported in to Alpha Company, and you were apparently medivaced (less the body bag) from in-country training to Saigon due to falling into a diabetic coma during training. BTW: If you had been involved in a combat mission, under fire, as you described, you would have been awarded the coveted Combat Infantryman's Badge (CIB). Your military records show only the National Defense Service Medal, the Vietnam Service Medal, and the Sharpshooter Badge W/Rifle Bar.

We await your response.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu May 18, 2017 10:05 pm

I responded ...but wonder if this is the best youtube to respond to. Wonder if anybody besides us even looks at it?
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Probably not...do you know of any recent YouTube episodes relating to Urban?
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:20 am

For any of you men who might be offended by Urban Miyares' continued claims of his fabricated "Vietnam experience"...especially his "body bag" tale.

I have located an email contact for Homeland Media which is a media company in San Diego, CA that specializes in Veteran Issues, and that produced the latest YouTube episode in which Miyares continues with his Vietnam and "body bag" tales.

HOMEFRONT’S MISSION

Our mission is to create an asset that serves those who have served with unwavering integrity. To forge partnerships with those who enhance the lives of military and veteran families every day and be a sounding board for worthy causes and valuable initiatives. Our goal is to do our part as the trusted “Voice for the Veteran Community”.

http://www.homefrontmedia.org/contact-us/

I have sent them an email summarizing my concerns with Urban Miyares. Due to Urban being apparently well known in San Diego, I am sure that they will probably ignore my input; however, if enough of us complain, it will be difficult for them to ignore.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:28 am

Karl Lowe was the only 31st Regiment Association Commander or former commander with "balls" enough to take a stand against Urban Miyares. If he had been the 31st Regiment Association commander at the time of this incident, I guarantee you that he would not have "run away from it, with his tail between his legs".

When the Association refused to take a stand, I told Karl that I would go on alone regardless of the fear of legal action on the part of Urban. Karl responded, "No way Jerry, if we go down, we will go down together". Now that's a leader! At that point I understood why the men who served under Karl in 1970 thought so highly of him that they would have followed him into hell.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri May 19, 2017 1:16 pm

Here is what Karl Lowe said on the Facebook 6/31st page in March of 2014.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6666527 ... 586149462/

If you don't belong to the facebook page and can't access it, here is what Col. Lowe said about Miyares:
Clearly a successful businessman and effective speaker but claims regarding his service in Vietnam need substantiation. His name does not appear on a list of 3300+ former members of the 6-31st Infantry,claims to have been a sergeant who was moved around among various squads and platoons of that unit wherever he was needed during his month or so in the unit, claims to have been with a platoon whose members were all killed in an ambush in August 1968, and that he was evacuated from the field and discovered in a body bag at Lai Khe. Here's the problem: 6-31st Infantry was fighting near Can Giuoc in Long An Province in August 1968, around 85 kilometers (50 miles) southeast of Lai Khe. Medevac flights routinely took our casualties to the brigade aid station at Tan An, to the 3rd Surgical Hospital at Dong Tam, or to the 24th or 93rd Evac Hospitals in Long Binh, depending on the severity of their wounds. Those too badly wonded to be returned to duty would go on to the 3rd Field Hospital at Tan Son Nhut for stabilization and evacuation to the Philippines or Japan. It is hard to imagine a reason for any of our casualties showing up in Lai Khe, dead or alive. Lai Khe was the base camp of the 3rd Brigade 1st Infantry Division which had no interaction with our brigade and fought 40km or more northwest of Saigon in War Zones C and D. At no time during 6-31st Infantry's 2 1/2 years in Vietnam did any of our platoons suffer all of their members killed in an ambush and such an incident certainly would not have escaped notice by our members or failed to be recorded in our operations logs. The closest such incident occurred on 12 January 1969 but although every memberof that platoon has been identified by where he was that night and more than half survived, no one named Miyares was there. Urban Miyares' story doesn't align at all with our unit's history or Medevac chain. What's the real story?

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”