Who is Urban Miyares?

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Re: Who is Urban Miyares?

Postby Delta75 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:40 am

This book is a joke! Urban promises us an autobiography and per the publisher, in the introduction to the book, Urban provides us with a book that is part fiction and part nonfiction .

Apparently he leaves it up to the reader to decide which of his tales are true and which are not.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:15 pm

Well, I guess that's one way to get around the fact that his Vietnam stories were proven to be lies,
just say some of the book is fiction.... :roll:

Vern.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:53 am

There were some of our Brothers who were hoping that Urban's book could have been used against him in a charge of Stolen Valor; however, now that the publisher has officially classified the book as "fiction" (actually a combination of fiction and nonfiction), I guess that we can forget that....especially since he doesn't clarify, within the book, what is fiction versus what is nonfiction. I guess that Urban must have had a pretty good attorney to have taken this approach to his book. I am sure that it makes no difference to his kool-aid drinking followers, they will simply believe that everything that he says in the book is "the truth".
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:32 pm

His book is on Barnes & Noble too. Same $4.99. No reviews at the moment. It's listed as fiction the same way as the publisher site. The Barnes & Noble blurb on what it's about doesn't mention anything about Miyares war history or war stories. Looking at the cover it looks like the whole book is branded as fiction. All things considered, I think Urban pretty much is admitting his Vietnam story doesn't have a leg to stand on in the way Jerry says it ends in a mumbling round about way admitting to it being not remotely true. Too bad his presentations that are recorded all over the internet , and other ones not recorded, weren't introduced as a theatrical recitations with no resemblance to truth.

http://www.6thofthe31st.com/gallery/ind ... um/fiction
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:57 pm

Urban, after 5 years of fighting against the fabricated Vietnam experience that you speak of during your speaking engagements and your video recordings, the men of the 6th/31st, 9th Infantry Division, Vietnam are overjoyed to finally declare victory. We do so after reading your first ebook,”My Life Outside the Fishbowl”. You had promised your followers a touching autobiography; however, your publisher as well as those selling your book have it categorized as “fiction”.....and we agree....thus victory is ours!
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:06 pm

I had to spend the five bucks and see what his Barnes and Noble version was. And I left this review:

Having served with Alpha Company 6th of the 31st Infantry, 9th Division in Vietnam, the same company Urban’s DD214 shows a penciled in assignment to, it is good to see that Urban apologizes in the beginning to us veterans who have a problem with his off told Vietnam story. It is also good that the cover of his autobiography includes the statement, recently amended from his original publishers cover, that his autobiography he classes as fiction. The war story part is fiction for sure.
Veterans of the 6th of the 31st got their first notice of him in 2014 when he came on a dedicated 6th of the 31st facebook page and announced that he was looking for anyone who remembered him and then linked his video appearance at the American Airline Skyball, now removed, complete with Brian Leek introduced as evidence. We found his story impossible to believe on a collection of accounts. We then began to ask questions and do some investigating as to who this guy was. In a nutshell, the story of what was learned about him and the email conversation between Urban and Jerry White who contacted him to get him to stop telling his totally impossible to believe story is here: https://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=72383
If you do a Google search of his name you will find him reciting his war story in several settings. He varies the details from time to time but keeps the exciting parts of his fantasy story intact. Whatever the actual details are of the few weeks he was in Vietnam the truth is very tame in comparison to what he tells. There is no combat time at all in the real unspoken story and no wiped out platoon and no body bag and no instant promotion to Platoon Sergeant. No miracle savior in another Divisions morgue ever existed nor needed to exist.
The main reason those of us who served in the 6th of the 31st really find his self aggrandizing story upsetting can be found in the list of names of real young men who died in actual combat with the battalion in Vietnam. Few remember them now days beyond the remaining guys who served with them in the 6th of the 31st Infantry, 9th Division. Each name you read on that wall page represents a real person who actually ended up in an actual body bag. Go to 6thofthe31st.com and click on the KIA list. 144 men listed who died for their country in less than two and a half years.

My final question is….. what did he gain by telling that war story so many times in so many places? What will he gain by it in the future?

The Barnes and Noble Urban page. https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/books/ ... 0156033584
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:40 am

For some unknown reason, Urban has decided to speak some truth in the Author Note of his newly published ebook "My Life Outside the Fishbowl". You will find the following in the ebook being sold by Barnes and Noble.

"In regards to my Vietnam service, I have only vague remembrances of what others said while I was sick. Later for entertainment purposes only, the embellishing of several tales was in no way meant to be disrespectful to my fellow soldiers with whom I served. This specifically includes the "body bag" and the "only survivor of a platoon" story..... To any Vietnam veterans this may have offended, I deeply apologize."

While I am pleased to see Urban's attempt at an apology, how in the world could he have ever thought that it was even remotely acceptable to "embellish" the "body bag" and "only survivor of a platoon" tales for solely "entertainment purposes"?????
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:22 pm

It was for entertainment only alright. He entertained a lot of people over the years at a lot of events with it. Only trouble is he never said he was making it all up at any of them that I'm aware of. Bet a bunch of his numerous awards depended to at least a large extent on bestowers mistakenly believing he was telling the truth. Maybe he should apologize to some of those people he hoodwinked.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:43 pm

Such as a couple of presidents....Clinton and Bush....as well as several Veteran organizations, Dept of Veteran Affairs, etc.

Niner I believe that somewhere in this string you have a list of organizations that have "honored" Miyares...might be good to re-post it.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:09 pm

They are listed online here: https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=105610

He does list at least a bushel of them in his ebook ....the one that' s a self published ebook. Not even a print copy of his "fiction" autobiography exists as far as we know. How can that be from such an honored man? From the linked site with the list:

About the speaker:
Urban Miyares is a nationally-recognized blinded and multi-disabled Vietnam veteran, motivational/inspirational speaker and lecturer, entrepreneur, published writer and newspaper columnist, inventor and patent holder, media personality, world-class athlete, and president of the Disabled Businesspersons Association--a national, volunteer-based, public charity founded in 1985 to assist in the rehabilitation and self-employment of disabled veterans and others with disabilities.

Selected Achievements:
*Founded the Disabled Businesspersons Association (1985)
*U.S. National Disabled Alpine Ski Champion (B-1 Total Blind Division and world's fastest total blind skier (1990-91)
*National U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Veteran Small Business Advocate Of The Year, Washington, D.C. (1991)
*California's Outstanding Veteran and Small Business Award, presented by former California Governor Pete Wilson (1991)
*Presidential Point Of Light Award, presented by former President George H. W. Bush (1992)
*A&E Network's National CityVideo Award Winner for the Emmy-nominated documentary "Local Heroes: Challenged America" (1992)
*National Disabled Veteran Of The Year, presented by the Disabled American Veterans (1994)
*Inc. Magazine's Entrepreneur Of The Year, Socially Responsible, presented by Inc. Magazine, Ernst & Young, Merrill Lynch (1995)
*Presidential Appointee to The White House Conference On Small Business, appointed by former President Bill Clinton (1995)
*David Schnair Volunteer Service Award, presented by the Blinded Veterans Association, Washington, D.C. (1995)
*National Samaritan Award, presented by the Acton Institute, Grand Rapids, Mich. (1995)
*National Spokesperson for the 1996 Olympic Torch Relay to Atlanta, selected by the Coca Cola Corporation, Atlanta, Ga. (1996)
*U.S. Congressional Black Caucus Veteran Braintrust Award (2001)
*Transpacific Yacht Race, Team CHALLENGED AMERICA, skipper -- 4th Place (2003)
*U.S. Sailing Association's "National Year-Round Program of the Year,” presented to Challenged America (2004)
*U.S. Sailing Association's "National Outstanding Inclusion Sailing Program," presented to Challenged America (2005)
*Transpacific Yacth Race, Team CHALLENGED AMERICA, skipper --4th (2005) Place

Selected affiliations and activities:
Challenged America co-founder and director (http://www.ChallengedAmerica.org)
Accion San Diego, micro-lender and founding board member
American Entrepreneurs for Economic Growth member
Blinded Veterans Association (BVA) life member and former national district director
Disabled American Veterans (DAV) life member
Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) life member
Paralyzed Veterans Association, Cal-Diego PVA associate member
Vietnam Veterans of America and San Diego Vietnam Veterans American Legion member
Taking Control. Of Your Diabetes faculty member and lecturer
Diabetes Exercise Sports Association member
Seeing Eye Graduate Society founding member
Special Kids In The Community mentor
YEP! -- Young Entrepreneurs with disabilities (after-school) Program -- founder/mentor
Transpacific Yacht Club member
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:47 pm

Wow! Look at all of these organizations that bought into his bullshit! He just happened to choose the wrong military unit to submit his “request for help” too in 2014. Little did he know that we had been working on our 6/31st roster for 10 years before he contacted us, and that we had more than 3000 names on the roster. In addition, this excellent 6/31st website had been in place even longer than that, along with a KIA page that contained all of our lost men along with company, platoon, date of death, etc.

In other words he could not have picked a unit that was better prepared to expose his fabricated tales. He asked for help and we gave him hell!
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:49 pm

We not only exposed Urban for the fraud that he is, we also exposed, per their own admission, the 31st Infantry Regiment Association for being a purely “social” organization with no desire to take a stand against wannabe individuals. I am sure that both Colonel Carlson and Karl Lowe are rolling over in their graves in disappointment and embarrassment with what their beloved Association has become.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri May 10, 2019 11:23 pm

The original this ain't hell page on our subject has been moved to here as there was some kind of organization name change:

https://valorguardians.com/blog/?p=72383

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”