Who is Urban Miyares?

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Re: Who is Urban Miyares?

Postby Delta75 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:01 pm

Looks like the "Truth" shook up Urban...he says that he is going to delete the "thread". Guess our 6/31st inputs were upsetting his flock.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:05 pm

I found this Veterans History Project interview with Urban. It's not a polished TV appearance or performance like at the Sky Ball. l He is only responding to the questions. Note the two weeks leave before Vietnam, his statement, make his entry at earliest, after his two days at shipping point from US about July 7. He says he spent a couple of days at someplace,think Cameron Bay, and then shipped by helicopter to a large base outside of Saigon. No pee training mentioned when interviewer seems to ask about in country indoctrination. Assigned to unit immediately it would seem. Went out on one no contact ambush. Was having dizzy spells and reported to sick call for two weeks. Medical treatment no help. 1st Sgt. thought malingering. Sent him out to the field and he had his episode with the fainting and mortars and rockets. It would seem this could have been his only field trip since the reported first ambush trip. He doesn't say whole platoon was wiped out. He does say the medic that found him in the body bag had found one more still alive soldier in a body bag before.

http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/story/ ... 001.stream
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:43 pm

I just looked at his facebook page and I could find no mention of his book anywhere.
Almost everything posted on his site are links to other sites?? Very few posts actually
made by him.

Vern.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:18 pm

Yep , Vern. Ten minutes after I posted something on his site I was deleted. So was Ron Raymond. Others fared a bit better and Jerry even exchanged some messages. But... As Jerry posted before you.... Urban deleted all the comments from his loyal fans and from 6/31st guys in the one string. I'm totally blocked from his site now. I can't even view it.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:04 pm

When you 6/31st Brothers have time, please check out the numerous Urban Miyares videos on YouTube. I have attempted, over the last few years, to make comments under all of his videos that mention his Vietnam experience. If I have missed any....please let me know.

Delta75
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:05 pm

Hello All,

If you do a Google search for Urban Miyares...the first link that will pop up is:

"Urban Miyares - San Diego Magazine - September 2008 - San Diego"

Both Michael Bennett and I have left comments related to Urban's Vietnam experience claims.

I could not find any other "non-YouTube video" Urban Miyares links where comments can be provided. If you men happen to find any other "non-YouTube video" links where comments can be made, please let me know so that I can provide some choice comments. As stated in a previous message, I believe that I have covered all the YouTube videos where Urban's Vietnam experiences were mentioned. Again...if I have missed any please let me know.

Delta75
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:43 am

I posted the following to the YouTube videos and the San Diego article:

While we of the 6th/31st, 9th Infantry Division Vietnam would like to congratulate Urban for his outstanding accomplishments as a disabled Vietnam veteran, we must take exception to the fabricated Vietnam experience that he has been telling for years in his speaking engagements and interviews, and that he plans to include as a chapter in his to-be-published autobiography. We find this to be both disrespectful and dishonorable to the thousands who died and the hundreds of thousands who were injured in that awful war.

We, his fellow Vietnam veterans, don't know the reasoning behind Urban's fabricated story. Maybe he has what is referred to as "survivors guilt" and believes that he didn't suffer enough in his one month in Vietnam (only 2 days in the field); therefore, he created this story. Sadly, we believe that he has now finally convinced himself that this "experience" actually happened. However, over the last several years, it has been totally debunked via a comprehensive review of his military records and interviews with both the officers and enlisted men who served in Alpha Company during the same period (July/1968 - Aug/1968) in which Urban served. All of the men interviewed were in complete agreement that not only do they not remember Urban but that the two primary incidents that Urban frequently mentions (his platoon being wiped out and his body-bag incident) never happened. We pray that the Lord will heal Urban's pains and that Urban will discontinue the use of this fabricated experience in his future activities to include it's inclusion in his autobiography.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:46 am

There are still lots of video's online after several in this string have gone away. The missing include the American Airlines Sky Ball speech that started the whole thing when Urban had the nerve to link it on the 6/31st facebook page looking for someone to help his lie in any way. Here is one I picked out that has been around a while that hits most of the high points of his fabrication. It does, like always, leave out details......like his body bag stooge saving him being in the morgue of the 1st Division and not the 9th Division. But the tune is true to the score even without the frequent story variations seen in other videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2RxfQcveas&t=112s
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:44 pm

Subject: Urban Miyares Information Links

Reference the fabricated Vietnam experiences being told by Urban Miyares (a disabled Vietnam veteran) at his paid speaking engagements and planned as a chapter in his to-be-published autobiography. This email is being generated due to Urban continuing to promote his autobiography on his Facebook page. After several 6/31st men posted to his Facebook page in protest, he deleted their posts which resulted in their being blocked from viewing his Facebook page, and,shortly thereafter, he deleted his Facebook "thread" against which our 6/31st Brothers had protested.

While we of the 6th/31st, 9th Infantry Division Vietnam would like to congratulate Urban Miyares for his outstanding accomplishments as a disabled Vietnam veteran, we must take exception to the fabricated Vietnam experience that he has been telling for years in his speaking engagements and interviews, and that he plans to include as a chapter in his to-be-published autobiography. We find this to be both disrespectful and dishonorable to the thousands who died and the hundreds of thousands who were injured in that awful war.

We, his fellow Vietnam veterans, don't know the reasoning behind Urban's fabricated story. Maybe he has what is referred to as "survivors guilt" and believes that he didn't suffer enough in his one month in Vietnam (only 2 days in the field); therefore, he created this story. Sadly, we believe that he has now finally convinced himself that this "experience" actually happened. However, over the last several years, it has been totally debunked via a comprehensive review of his military records and interviews with both the officers and enlisted men who served in Alpha Company during the same period (July/1968 - Aug/1968) in which Urban served. All of the men interviewed were in complete agreement that not only do they not remember Urban but that the two primary incidents that Urban frequently mentions (his platoon being wiped out and his body-bag incident) never happened. We pray that the Lord will heal Urban's pains and that Urban will discontinue the use of this fabricated experience in his future activities to include it's inclusion in his autobiography.

Please note that these tales are being told by a man who was in Vietnam for slightly less than 1 month (Jul/68 - Aug/68). Per Urban's own admission, the first 2 weeks of this 1 month were spent on sick call, the following 2 days were actually spent in the field and the remainder of the 1 month was spent in a hospital in Saigon with Urban diagnosed as having diabetes. He was then returned to a hospital in the states where he was discharged from the Army in Dec/1968. Remember this as you listen to his story...he spent only 2 days in the field....per Urban his first day in the field was uneventful but on the second day he fell into a diabetic coma and ended up in a hospital in Saigon. How he got to the hospital is part of his fabricated "body bag" story. Since,per his military records, he was never awarded the coveted Combat Infantry Badge (CIB), it is quite clear that he was not involved in combat during either of his 2 days in the field, and, per our 6/31st KIA records there were no Alpha Company men lost in the 2 days (11 Aug 1968 and 12 Aug 1968) in which Urban claims that he was in the field.

I have included the video links below where you can hear Urban's claims in his own words. Please forward to whomever you would like, especially military or former military personnel.

I have also included the link to "This ain't hell but you can see it from here" (Fakewarriors) website which contains our 6th/31st detailed findings/comments related to Urban's claims, as well as our communication with Urban and his response to our findings. It also includes Urban's military records that were available via the Freedom of Information Act.

I have also included a link to Robert Stewart's 6th of the 31st website that contains a lengthy discussion about Urban Miyares that covered 5 pages. Please note that one must page to the next page upon completion of each page.

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=72383

http://6thofthe31st.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3577

Videos links below: As stated in a previous email, I have added comments to all of the YouTube videos. The "Daily Motion" video did not permit comments to be made.

IMPORTANT: My YouTube comments do not appear to be viewable via an iPhone but they are viewable via a laptop or pc.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b55x8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2RxfQcveas&t=112s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ia9_cC-lvI&t=181s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDXaBfNc4-I&t=716s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB3NQgvz6zw&t=135s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BmhK6QzBnE&t=327s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm-H_nSU62o&t=31s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nXRpcADHdY&t=75s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5TcS9Cr1hw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxd7SQSo9vY&t=101s
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:42 am

You're not going to believe this but in doing a Google Search I stumbled across a book that has some Urban Miyares BS in it. I found the book on Amazon and made my review as to pages 214 - 216. Amazon will review my review before posting...I doubt that they will post it since they can see that I did not buy the book from them.

BTW: You can also provide a review, as I also did, at the "non-Amazon" link below. Even though this website shows 0 reviews, if you click on "reviews" you will see mine and one other review.

The book is: The 7 Secrets of Neuron Leadership

Hopefully you can see the preview below....scanned for Urban. After reaching the review, you may have to select "previous" or "next" to see pages 214 - 216.

https://books.google.com/books?id=nnw3D ... es&f=false

I love a comment in the book that "he completed training at the NCOC School at Fort "Pope" La". You will also get a kick out of his "rubber plantations" in the Delta comment....and Yep! he got his buddy Brian Leet's name in there.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:30 pm

Yep all of the Urban BS almost word for word. Urban must have dictated it. I like the author's quote of Urban:

"Leadership is all about love", said Urban. "Without it, you can't lead anything or anyone". Considering how he must have loved all his platoon members enough to be promoted to Plt. Sgt. after only a week in Vietnam his love mojo must really work wonders. Apparently he can't remember any of their names though. Of course they were all wiped out, according to a few of his stories, so it's not like he is going to be looking any of them up with the help of this site or the 3000 man roster.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:31 pm

Niner...since by Urban's own admission, he actually spent only 2 days with his platoon before ending up in the Saigon hospital with a diabetic coma, it must have been a "one night stand".
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:57 pm

Hello San Diego, CA:

Is there no news person or news organization in the San Diego area with enough guts to expose Urban Miyares? Apparently people in the San Diego area have so "bought into" his tales that they won't even take the time to request a copy of his military records, per the Freedom of Information act, or to review the other evidence that has been provided via a thorough investigation done by the men of the 6/31st. It appears that his being a successful disabled Vietnam vet permits him to continue to spread his fabricated Vietnam experience with no fear of rebuttal.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:08 pm

I can understand your frustration. However, I think the only people his story upsets are those of us who served with the battalion and knew people who died while we were there. I remember two FO team guys that did what I did that died there and a couple others that were wounded, one seriously..... and FO guys weren't even infantry. Somebody like Urban who makes a lot of speeches and gets a lot of awards, based mostly on sympathy built by his comic book story, is stomach turning when we think about it and the guys we knew that have been in the ground around a half a century now. The guys we remember nobody knows or gives a crap about, much less have a thousand loyal followers on facebook. If he hadn't come on Facebook at the 6-31 page looking for someone to jump right up and become an accomplice, like his body bag savior did, and he hadn't brashly linked the American Airlines Sky Ball event speech so we could view his recitation, we would never have even heard of him. San Diego news media probably has little awareness of his existence....and even if they did know who he is likely anything they were to write would be only a one shot back page story with a lot of he says, they say and no editorial stand taken. They, in all probability, see Miyares as someone few care anything about and the truth of his story is mostly irrelevant.....much like the initial reaction of the 31st Regiment Association leadership.

One thing to keep in mind is that with the efforts of actual 6th of the 31st guys, particularly Jerry with his interaction with Miyares, the truth is out there on the internet now. Any search of his name will lead anyone who wonders about him and his story to information that shines light on the absurdity of his story. This particular string has had 89 more views when I started typing than it had yesterday at about the same time. The other shorter string has had 48 more looks. With the site in as crap shape as it is, it is still functioning. Somebody....is seeing the other side of Urban's story.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:45 pm

Guess we will just have to wait until his autobiography has been published. Then we can jump on his "Vietnam Experience" chapter "like a duck on a June bug". Considering that Urban spent less than one month in Vietnam and only two days in the field, it should be a pretty short chapter. Of course, we know that that will not be the case. Somehow he will "explode" those 2 days in the field into a large and impressive experience. :lol:
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:35 pm

Somebody is still looking at this string. This string has had 477 hits since I posted the other day.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:22 pm

I bought and read Urban’s book in order to provide the men of the 6/31st the ability to provide a review of Urban’s Vietnam experience. Over the last 5 years we have been very upset with the fabricated Vietnam experience that he has been telling at his numerous paid speaking engagements. To my surprise I found the Vietnam experience described in this book much more believable than the tales that he usually provides at his speaking engagements. Please understand that we Vietnam vets congratulate Urban on his outstanding accomplishments as a disabled Vietnam vet. We simply have a problem with his fabricated Vietnam experience.

You will find my inputs below. First a couple of corrections for Urban: (1) NCOC training was at Ft Benning not Ft Polk. You did your OJT at Polk (check your military records...we did), (2) Doubt you did an air combat assault in the Delta in a Chinook. It was probably a Huey. I did a hundred or more...all in Huey’s...not one in a Chinook. Additional note: Per Urban’s military records, again, which we have, Urban spent less than a month in Vietnam. Per his own inputs he spent the first 2 weeks on sick call and only 2 days in the field. He spent the remaining week in a hospital in Saigon before being shipped out of Vietnam.

FYI: My review inputs below were provided to the men of the 6/31st via our 6/31st Facebook page.

Well guys, Urban still got his body bag into the story which we know is BS. He also mentioned his lack of knowledge as to what happened to his platoon...based on the 6/31st KIA records it's clear.....nothing happened to them..not one man lost during the 2 days that Urban says that he was in the field (8-11/8-12). He also got his medic buddy Brian Leets mentioned as the medic who "might" have saved him from that body bag. Again, we know that there was no way in hell that a man from the 6/31st would have been shipped out of IV Corp all the way to III Corp where Brian was stationed. In addition there is no way that a man in a diabetic coma could have survived 2 days in a body bag in the Delta.

If he had left out the body bag, the medic and the possibility that his platoon lost alot/all of its men.....it wouldn't have been too bad a tale. I do wonder, however, how he could have experienced so much in the one week or less that he wasn't either on sick call or in the Saigon hospital.

Another point to remember. Urban doesn’t remember the name of a single person with whom he served in Vietnam and not a single man on our present 6/31st roster (2,000+ men) remembers Urban.

On the last couple of pages of the book can be found the following statement from Urban: "After email communications with Jerry, and a few others from the 9th Infantry Division sending uncomplimentary emails about my pretending to be in the same outfit as they were, and my statement of (being) found alive (in a body bag) being false, the pride of serving with the 9th Infantry Division and in Vietnam was gone. Not a battle I wanted or was able to fight."

How sad....he divorced us.

Delta75
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:10 pm

Am guessing his divorce theory is....If you can't beat 'em... ignore 'em.
Vern.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:07 pm

Considering who is "publishing" it as a ebook on a vanity press that also publishes porn it is obvious no real main stream publisher was interested in it. And in the end he even mentions the objections that Jerry and others made to his story. Anybody who thinks about how he ended it will see that he got away with his war story for a long time and even he isn't defending it as true. That's good news. Jerry and Karl Lowe and everybody that responded along the way, in the end, had an effect on how this ended up. Looks like now we can put this story to bed. I congratulate everybody who wouldn't just ignore this guy.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:57 pm

Looks like Urban has me blocked now from posting comments on his Facebook page. Wanted to post the following as a comment to his “string” about his new book being published. If any of you guys can get to his Facebook page, please paste for me.

Urban you keep saying that “someone” at the Saigon hospital told you in August 1968 that you had been found alive in a body bag; however, you admitted to me in the following email string that you didn’t arrive at the body bag story until 2003 when you heard about a medic who had found someone alive in a body bag. So it would have been impossible for someone in 1968 to have told you about a body bag story that you didn’t even arrive at until 2003. See the email string below:

To: Urban Miyares
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:10 AM
Subject: [Norton AntiSpam]Re: [Norton AntiSpam]Re: [Norton AntiSpam]Re: [Norton AntiSpam]Re: [Norton AntiSpam]Re: Questions of Service

Urban.....So no one specifically told you that you had been placed in a body bag? You just knew that 2 days were missing. Then later you heard about Brian Leet finding a man alive in a body bag at Lai Khe and assumed that it was you....since the soldier was shipped to Saigon and you had just arrived at Saigon...thus explaining the missing 2 days?

Best regards
Jerry

Urban Miyares <urban@disabledbusiness.com>
To
Jerry White
03/19/14 at 12:58 PM
Somewhat...Brian and I didn't connect until 2003, after he read a Holiday letter (Dec. 2002) by the DAV with my story. We talked for a while on the phone (a number of times) trying to compare notes, of what I//we remembered and somehow the time it all happened blended. But neither of us have ever received a confirmation.

I've told Brian that I can't imagine how I got to his medical unit, as Brian was with the 1st Infantry.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:18 pm

I posted this on his Facebook page, bet it doesn't last long and I'll be blocked too.... :mrgreen:

Jerry's comments are still on the review page for the book.

"Too bad none of Urban's Vietnam squad leader and body bag story is true, it's all a lie. Not sure why he would lie and make up this story.... but he did. I was a member of the same unit, and after extensive research and using the Freedom of Information Act to access his military records, my fellow veterans proved that story is not true. How sad. If you read to the bottom of the link, Urban admits it's not true, but keeps on telling the story. Save your money on that book, there may be other lies in it too....... Read this before you buy the book...... https://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=72383 "

Vern.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:08 pm

Well, that didn't take long to get blocked.......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Vern.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:42 pm

Just checked his Facebook page using a different account and the whole thread about his book
is gone...... but I'm sure it will be back.... Maybe I hurt his feelings......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Vern.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Ha! The truth hurts and clearly Urban can't take the pain.

My grandson and nephew found the same thing; that is, Urban has deleted the thread to prevent rebuttal comments to the fiction within his newly published book.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:55 pm

Wow! I just read the introduction to Urban’s new book, on the publisher’s website. It appears that both Urban and the publisher are admitting that portions of the book are non-fiction and other portions are fiction. (See copy/paste below.)I guess the reader decides which sections they consider as fiction and which they consider as non-fiction. Hardly the autobiography that Urban promised.

“My Life Outside the Fish Bowl: A fictional memoir - After two days unconscious, Urban awoke in a Saigon military hospital where told he was found alive in a body bag. Burdening questions about who found him and what happened, if the shocking story was even true, tormented him throughout his life. Less
In this extraordinary memoir, part fact, part fiction, Urban Miyares brings to life his adverse relationship with his alcoholic father, his secretive dual-life during his school years, and his battle as an adult with blindness, physical and mental disabilities to extend the diagnosis of a shortened life expectancy.

In candid prose, Miyares sheds light on his over-achieving personality, his obsession to recognize the meaning of love, and anguish to find his purpose in life.

The Urban Miyares story (“My Life Outside the Fish Bowl”), is a compulsive, inspirational memoir, laced with fictional tales, which includes recognizing how your past defines you. It is also a powerful story about never quitting, and forging your own path to reach goals considered insurmountable by others.”

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”