PTSD survey being conducted

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

PTSD survey being conducted

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:23 am

Got this request from Jerry White:

Hi Niner.......would you be interested in adding this survey to your website..minus the email addresses for Walt and Sam? If so, I would let Sam and Walt know and they could monitor any responses via the website. As you can see, I forwarded it to my Delta Company distribution list; however, I am sure that they are interested is "all" of our men from the 6/31st...and "not" only Delta Company.

Take Care
Jerry

(Resent with corrected Subject line)

Attention Delta Company (blindcopied for security),

Two of our Lt's (Walt Rutherford - 1st platoon and Sam Martin - 3rd platoon) are working on a PTSD survey and have requested our inputs. Please provide your responses, to the following three questions, to the following email addresses.........

Take Care My Brothers
Jerry

[Final update correction. Anyone who served with the 6/31st is requested to post a response to the questions. Or....... If you wish to respond privately please email a response to either Walt at walterdr@aol.com or Sam at samgqinc@comcast.net]

Dear Jerry:

1.) Do you have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder diagnosed by the Veteran's Administration?

2.) How long did the process take and what is your disability rating - 30%, 60% etc.?

3.) Do you think you might have PTSD but have never bothered to file with the VA?

Thanks Jerry,
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: PTSD survey being conducted

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:54 am

I'm sure I had plenty of stress from combat crazy stuff of four decades ago. I can remember some of the evidence after I came back... if I wanted to actually remember it..... the booze and dreams, the sudden anger that I had a hard time controlling,.... and other things. But that was then and this is now.

It bothers me some seeing guys, now, suddenly get the notion to jump on the public money train all these years later, and it makes me cringe. Of course, for at least some, PTSD is now just an after thought added to the list of reasons why the government should pick up the tab for their ever increasing health costs once something shows up in their health picture that could be attached to Agent Orange.

Maybe when I get the diabetes I'll go to the VA and apply for some of whatever is on the disability menu, like several of the guys I know have. In the mean time, I'm not interested. Somebody is going to have to prove I'm crazy without me offering any evidence.

But to each his own. I'd like to see some of you lurkers respond to this survey.

By the way, according to somebody I know who has personal experince, if you go to the VA and show orders for a CIB you get on the PTSD eligibility list with no further questions needing an answer. ( I don't have a CIB... there was no badge for FO team members, so I guess I would have to act like I'm crazy or something.)
delta75a

Postby delta75a » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:24 am

Niner.....a CIB will "not" automatically get one on the PTSD list. It helps.....but, by itself, it doesn't do it.....BTW: I do have a CIB.

I don't believe that I have PTSD, but after talking to all my platoon members at the 2007 San Antonio reunion, my two kids were convinced that I did. So...to appease the kids, I went to the VA and met with a psychologist. He said that my frequent marriages (3), no close friends, not socially involved, etc. were pretty normal for today's society. He believes that my lack of alcohol/drug abuse, my excellent graduate school GPA (upon returning from VN), and my excellent work record showed that I was fine.

Jerry
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:42 am

If you want to keep your information out of public view, but would otherwise have no objection to responding to the survey, please email your response to walterdr@aol.com or samgqinc@comcast.net
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:37 pm

Here is a video that has been bouncing around the emails lately. Jerry White was the first to send it around...at least to me... and Mike Kirby was the last. But it speaks to the memories....and feelings.... that we all carry around in some degree or another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=AS ... ata_player
The Pelion Kid
Sustaining Member

Postby The Pelion Kid » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:27 pm

My CIB went a long way to the PTSD rating..And if the environment of Nam caused it why should I feel bad about them paying me back just a wee bit..I was one that worked my ass off to get where I am and to have to put out my hard earned money on diabetes drugs and pills to lower my blood pressure woke my ass up..Now if all my brothers think I,m a leach or a money grubber then so be it..My non existant health insurance covers nothing..So if yall think I'm just milking the cow you can just kiss my ass.
The Pelion Kid
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Postby Delta75 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:55 am

Floyd......I agree with you. All vets should be compensated for any damage that occurred during their service whether it be physical or psychological. Our government leaders/representatives do plenty to take care of their own health and retirement benefits....best they take care of the vets...especially since most of our government "leaders/representatives" never served one minute in the armed services.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:16 am

There were a lot of us who came home forty years and more ago and needed some support in our transition from Vietnam to civilian life. But the Government wasn't there for us and the society wasn't there for us either. But....one of the first lessons we learn in life is that life isn't fair and it never has been. If life were fair, then all the presidents and senators and congressmen and generals that are all in favor of wars should have to put on the gear and go on patrols with the privates until the war is over. And we know that isn't going to happen any more than that they are going to care about the men they sent to the war when the population has had all the war they can stand. The soldier is more quickly forgotten than the reason for the war.

Take a look at that utube link again. If you were a civilian who had never been to Vietnam, America's most unpopular war in living memory, and saw that guy feeling sorry for himself after forty years, what would you think? As a person who has been there yourself, how do you feel about that guy crying over the fear and experiences of four decades ago? Has nothing bad happened in his life in the last forty years to equal or surpass the experiences of his youth? Isn't it a fact that most of us have made it through more than half of a regular lifetime since, having faced our own personal tragedies over the years and still adjusted to the point of being "normal" people without any self pity or government assistance?

When I was expressing my opinion about forty years after the fact government aid I wasn't thinking about Floyd. I don't begrudge him at all anything he can obtain in assistance. I don't fault anybody for taking whatever benefits they need and are offered and the government agrees they are entitled to. But, for me, it would only be a course of last resort to go seeking benefits at this late a date for service in that war. I know I'm going to die of something in the not all that distant future, but in my own mind I know that at this late a date it won't be of Vietnam, whatever it is that kills me.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:30 am

Got a link to a review of a recent book by a retired Army Chaplain on the subject of PTSD and the implications down to and including the soldiers of today. From the email I got from the Mobile Riverine Association he had served in Vietnam with the 9th Division, and it says he served as a "grunt". Maybe he changed his profession and became a chaplain afterward. In any case....here is one quote that sparked my interest in mentioning it in this string.

Clearly though not elegantly written, Combat Trauma’s real worth lies in its forthright, almost clinical dissection of symptoms—withdrawal, fear, hyper-vigilance and flashbacks being only a few. Even more significant are the equally unblinking looks these veterans provide about the effect of these recurring symptoms on key life issues—work, careers, faith and even morality. It might be PTSD, but many non-veterans will share the rich contempt these former soldiers feel for “wannabes, liars and pretenders”—especially politicians shameless enough to claim credit for combat while exposed only to war-zone photo ops.

http://mrfa.org/Combat.Trauma.htm
Ron
Sponsor 2016

PTSD survey

Postby Ron » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:37 pm

A survey huh,
And why is such a survey being pushed by Jerry, one of our own known Delta Co. people and not the individuals who are researching it? After all this site is user friendly and open to all veterans and families. It could be also a matter of privacy or trust that repsonse has gone the direction it's taken. The responses being returned pretty much explains how we feel and if individuals can't accept it, so be it! Jerry, you've done good with Delta Co reunions and material on 'Nam. If there was a trophy for such assistance and usefullness towards our unit, then you should be getting it.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:27 am

I understand from the last chat night that at least some, and maybe all, Vietnam guys with recent and not so recent PTSD claims are being required to sign up for weekly group therapy sessions by the VA. Well.... Hope it does them some good. I understand the VA will even pay travel expenses to and from sessions if they have to travel any distance to participate every week.

Wonder if the sessions and the PTSD disability pay and the travel allowance will stop if the Republicans and Democrats can't agree to raise the amount of debt the US thinks sit can handle? Oh well.... that isn't likely to happen....or is it? We'll see during the next few weeks.

If the sessions and the pay stop then guys can join us assorted nuts, some VA certified and some not, on the skype chats on thursday night. You don't have to travel. You don't have to put your shoes on. And you can drink whatever you find in your own refrigerator or liquor cabinet and smoke cigars too....depending on whatever objections your wife may or may not have. ( No cigars in the house is one of my wife's rules.)

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”