We have these chats on Thursday nights

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

We have these chats on Thursday nights

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue May 25, 2010 9:35 pm

It's a Skype voice chat. It has been successful every week for a long while now. We encourage more people to join in. Just ask us to invite you. All you have to do is get a microphone or voicecam at Wallyworld or Big Lots or wherever, and sign up for a free Skype account and post here that you want to join in or just email me to add you as a contact. We don't expect you to get all that excited about it on my saying its an interesting way to pass some time....just try it once and see how it strikes you. It's like a thursday night poker game only you don't lose any money and you don't have to drive home. You just have to buy your own beverage of choice. You might actually like talking to people with a connection to the 6/31st even though the conversation is about all sorts of things unrelated most of the time. If it turns out you don't get a thrill out of it you can always use the new microphone and free Skype connection to talk to somebody you know and may enjoy talking to for free instead of a long distance call.

Lately, we even have a Delta guy who is in Saigon talking to us at 7 am his time.....and he comes through clearer than my wife when I call her from the grocery store on my cell phone. If you want to know what it is like in Vietnam today, he knows. Not only that he has a guide service if you want to go back to Vietnam and see for yourself.

So far it has been all Delta and Alpha guys that have participated, even though some have only tried it once or twice and others have become regulars every week. And since the chat usually goes on for two or three hours there is a wide chance to join in and entering or leaving at any time is not big deal. Join when you can and leave when you want.

Why not give it a try some time?
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: We have these chats on Thursday nights

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:02 pm

And now, another year later, we still continue to have a chat every Thursday night. There has not been a Thursday night since the beginning that at least three of us didn't show up. We still have lots of room for anyone that wants to give it a try.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:58 pm

The regulars include two Delta, three Alpha, and one Big Red One guy who is related to an Alpha guy. The Big Red One guy comes so regular, and since the start, we consider him adopted. We would love to add some more guys to the Skype chat......if only a one time visit. And.....I know talking to strangers is something your momma told you not to do....but what the hell? Live dangerously in your old age once in a while.

Anybody from the old 6/31st interested in trying it out?
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Anybody use Google Plus? A few of us are getting up an experiment to try it as an alternative to Skype. I think it looks like it offers some advantages that Skype doesn't. It's free as well and hooking up to their voice and video is pretty easy to do without affecting the Skype connection in any way if you have Skype. We are attempting to start a chat "circle" and have some multiple cam video chats with no expense to do it, unlike Skype that charges for group video connections. Well....that's the idea , anyway.

Anybody with Google Plus want to join the circle for the experiment?

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”