Rebuild of the site continues after hack

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Rebuild of the site continues after hack

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:37 pm

My son has done more work on rebuilding the site in this new provider space where it is now. There are still a few things left to do and adjustments to be made to the site, but he has done a good job in a short time and we are back to square one with a few improvements even.

The internet is still the wild West with no safeguards to any site, no matter the provider. The only lasting protection is a desire to continue and rebuild after attacks happen. I've gone through this more than once in the last half dozen years. Each time, with my sons help, the site has been made whole again.

One of the things we are going to do is put up a paypal donation link in the near future in case anyone wants to help with the expense. No big donations are needed nor wanted. I'd rather a few dollars from a couple dozen people to help me maintain this site. There will be no pitch for money. A few dollars donated from a few people to help pay for the site expenses will also show that the site still has some value and hasn't run its course yet.
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Re: Rebuild of the site continues after hack

Postby Ron » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:04 am

Very interesting, Robert. Like the colours too.....even the added touch of camouflage! :)
I guess it's going to take quite a bit of work to clean things up and hopefully the new look will last awhile. Way to go, Robert (and son) and the best for New Year 2010. :D
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:24 am

"After further review", as the officials sometime say in football games, I've had a change of mind. I think I'd rather just pay all the expense myself and not take donations. That way I create no obligations.

There will be no Paypal donation link.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Postby Delta75 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:14 am

Niner....I understand your position relative to the site donations, but if you ever change your mind and need some assistance, please let me know. I would never want to lose this site due to a lack of funding.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:39 am

I constructed a long response but then hit some wrong button and lost it all..... :oops:

My feeling is that this site has failed to build upon what it succeeded at to begin with. Previous bursts of interest have gone away. The chatroom isn't as busy as it used to be, even with the much better Skype option in place. Most guys haven't gone to the new 6/31st site as evidenced by the fact that the new site closed their messageboard in the face of total lack of use. The Association gave up on their site after it was hacked over a year ago, although they never were a factor in making contact anyway. I think it may be a case of the party is over for this site as only a few guys seem to remain. As a result, I'm reluctant to open a donation link because I may be only selling stock in a sinking ship.

If no more disasters strike, this site should continue for the next year with no more money needed.

If I were to open a donations link it would only be with the understanding that if less money than would be needed had been collected when the next major problem comes up, I might very well still end the site rather than keep it going.

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”