Voice chat is the latest experiment

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Voice chat is the latest experiment

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:09 pm

Voice chat using Skype is the latest adventure. Last week we had four of us giving it a trial run on Thursday night. It proved to be enjoyable so we are going to attempt it again next thursday night.

All you have to do is signup for Skype and have at least a microphone or videocam that attaches to your computer and some speakers or a headset. Then email me what your skype handle is and I'll add you to the conference call list for thursday coming at 7pm Central, 8 pm Eastern time. All you have to do is be online and you will get an online call and if you want to join the chat. All you have to do is answer the call at the chat time. There is no cost to you for the conference call.

If you want to try it out...a couple dozen can join at one time... just email me what your Skype handle is. niner@6thofthe31st.com. You will get a return email from Skype asking if you want to be added as a contact and all you do is respond that you do. This allows me to put you in the group invite list.

If you have a videocam the photos won't come through but all members to the chat will be listed on a screen and you can see and when someone talks his ikon will light up.
Last edited by Niner Alpha on Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

It's been going on since February now

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:35 pm

Amazing how fast time moves. And every week we have had a chat. Some times just two people, but mostly four of us on a regular basis. And it has gone on for several hours most times.

We could use some more participation. The type chat has dried up altogether as this is the better way to go. Old dogs can learn new tricks it seems and discover the new tricks are better than the old ones.

We have one new member that may join us next time. I have his Skype handle on the list to call Thursday night. If anyone wants to give it a try, just buy yourself a $20 or $30 voicecam and join Skype for free. ( I think Logitech makes the best cheap ones.) Then email me what your Skype handle is and I'll add you to my Skype contact list. You will get a notice from Skype as to if you want to add me or not as a contact and once you have added me as a contact you are good to go.

If any group of people from any company want to try this it is easy enough to do and has nothing to do with any control I or my site have over it. All you would need is someone to act as an organizer.
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Chat feedback

Postby Ron » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:40 am

Like Niner has stated "Skype Chat is the way to go" and it's all free, except for the video cam. What better way for you to experience communicating with voice/video to a friend or relative across the country or world.
Be aware though that these video cams pick up the slightest sounds around you when you're online....makes for some very interesting conversations! :o Sounds of pets or munchies in the background or refreshments being opened will let those who you are chatting with what you're doing.
Skype also allows you to send articles, files and photo's while on chat and if you're only doing chat one-on-one you will have the oppurtunity of seeing each other by video. So, like Robert states, give Skype a whirl, you never know who you might be in touch with! :D

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”