Whats the connection between two places at the end?

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Whats the connection between two places at the end?

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:18 pm

Both John Bullock's old letters and mine mention early forcasts of going to a place actually pronounced "Z on" at the end to process out of the 6/31st, or in my case officially the 2/4th arty. The actual spelling in both of our letters is not right...no surprise. The actual place I have reason to believe is spelled Di An. Di An had been a major 1st Division basecamp once. By the end of the 3rd Brigade of the 9th the 1st Division had gone home, although we still had some of the transfers from their ranks.

Di An was between Saigon and Bien Hoa. About 20 miles NE of Saigon and about half of that in distance SW of Bien Hoa.

John mentions Xuan Loc. Xuan Loc was, or is about 40 miles NE of Saigon.

Wherever we ended up for the transfer, I remember a big basecamp. Big USO building. Lots of stateside stuff in the construction of the place. I remember the Black Horse Division ensignia all over the place.

Can't remember clearly the connection between these names and the actual places. Anybody remember?

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”