communication of information about death and serious illness

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

communication of information about death and serious illness

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:17 pm

Ron Raymond sent me an email the other day about how there ought to be a way for communication of information about guys we knew from back then who are seriously ill or who die. Gary Spears was one guy Ron mentioned and how communication from Ron and guys Gary knew from back then was a thing that gave Gary and his family some comfort in what turned out to be his final days. There should be a way for guys themselves or their families to be in touch with a number of old buddies that would be concerned if they want to do so without making a post in a public forum.

We have kicked it around a little. Here is the last email between us. Ron responded to my off handed suggestions. Ron's remarks in red.

Been thinking about this some more. Have no solution yet. Maybe something like an email notification list. People would have to subscribe to it. Kinda like an old listserve. Maybe have one for each company. The content wouldn't show on the internet, but say if a wife wanted to tell everybody in Charlie company, that subscribes to the Charlie list, that her no good deadbeat husband that way back when was otherwise an honorable man in the service is now in a bad way, she could do so.

Was thinking of more of our members should have someone they could trust that would pass the word on to us. Being you have little attendance as it is I'm not sure you'd get much response from each company member. Wouldn't necessarily have to be an Internet posting unless the sick individual wants us to know. Each company rep. could then forward the info onto the 'sick call' list on your site.
'
Maybe have one guy from each company in charge of his company. Say you took Delta. You ask for those who want to be on the list. You keep the list and also get any requests for forwarding information. This would require some volunteers though.

Guess all you can do is post the suggestion in a forum, Robert, and then see how much response you receive. There might be many individuals looking at your web, but how many really would make an attempt to acknowledge back about the questionnaire? Your guess is as good as mine! Shouldn't take that much work for us to volunteer the posting either. Good luck.........

Lot of guys look at this site and say nothing. But we could use some suggestions if this idea can get a focus and get working.
Last edited by Niner Alpha on Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Delta List

Postby Delta75 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:37 am

Hi Niner/Ron,

Ron, if you would like to drive this for Delta, I could furnish you a list of all the Delta emails that I have. We recently lost one of our Delta brothers from my 3rd platoon. Eli Ford passed away Dec 20 from a massive heart attack. I noted this in the Memorial section.

Take Care
Jerry
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Per the 'Delta Co.' List

Postby Ron » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:29 am

Jerry,
At this point in the game until I see more response and input I'd rather not have the list. Will be depending on the individuals to submit their emails when the need arises. So far as of this date you've been the only one replying, and that was only to supply an email list.
Hearing about someone will also have to be in a timely manner! Until we hear more this idea will just be placed on the back burner I guess!

Thanks for the effort Jerry,

Ron
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Here's an easy out

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:56 pm

It wouldn't be any problem to set up email lists by company of everyone who has signed the book at this site. I could have a "notification" forum in which anybody can be allowed to post information. It could also show an email address to the site if somebody wants to get the word out about a critical situation quickly to those who may not often look at the site

Equally, if somebody wants to keep their notification low key they can contact me and I can send out information to the right list or lists. Of course if any want to make a public statement they can do that too.

The only negative thing is that a lot of the old email addresses aren't good anymore and only a handful of people have bothered to update them. But if some of the addresses work and the information concerns someone a group of guys may have some interest in, then it is probable the word will get out from the guy or guys who's email addresses still work.

On second thought, only registered users would be allowed to post. Not a hard thing to do...most of the time... and would keep the machine posts out.

Or if no interest, just forget about it.

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”