Trying to do a little housekeeping

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Trying to do a little housekeeping

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:22 pm

Now that I'm retired I have a little time between fishing, shooting and various projects. Recently some of the posts with old photobucket attachments have lost their photos and the few more posts that actually still link the photobucket attachments will also go away by design. I'm replacing the attachments by way of our site protected album.

I don't know if anybody actually goes back several pages in any of the forums that have several pages, but some of those early posts, particularly the ones transferred from the ezboard site, have lost photo content. Some photos I'm finding I have lost forever, but most of them can be replaced.

Now if this board was actually really active there would be no point, but, unfortunately, since it isnt', I have some time to make the adjustments and will.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Retired

Postby Delta75 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:37 am

Congrats Niner...so when did you retire? Wish I could afford to, but everytime I get close, the stock market crashes. Hindsight is always 20/20, but, looking back, I should have bought land instead of stock. :)

Jerry
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Thanks Jerrry

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:50 am

Retired last week. My stocks are probably no better than yours but my wife has a good public service job which she plans to work for some years yet and I'm on her medical insurance. When you retire at 62 I think the medical insurance cost is the biggest concern for many not so lucky as myself.

I woke up this morning thinking about this timeline I've been going to get around to finishing forever. Think forever is starting now. The biggest problem is considering what to put in it and what to leave out. Think I've got a plan now.
Delta75

Retiring

Postby Delta75 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:54 am

Yes....Health Insurance is my big concern. I am ok, because with a Purple Heart I can get pretty good coverage thru the VA; however, once I retire, I would have to buy insurance to cover my wife until she reaches 65...and that is another +10 years.

Jerry
pointman
Sustaining Member

Health Insurance

Postby pointman » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:11 pm

Would you mind elaborating on the Health Insurance for Purple Heart recipients, or is there a website that explains a little; hadn't heard of it. Presume this means all your appointments would be at the VA?

jhb
Delta75

VA Purple Heart

Postby Delta75 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:25 pm

Niner...it isn't really insurance...it's just medical care thru the VA. If you have recevied a Purple Heart, it moves you up to Category 3....I believe its Category 3. With this category, medical care is free; however, you have to pay a nominal fee for medicine. Eye exams and glasses are also free; however, they don't provide progressive style bifocals. In addition, if you can prove that hearing loss is service related, you can even get free hearing aids. My hearing is bad, but I can't prove that it is service related. Since you were artillery, if your hearing is bad, you might be able to prove that it is service related.

For example: I presently take 3 perscriptions. With my present insurance, the co-pay is $20 a piece for a one month supply. Thru the VA, I pay $8 a piece for a three month supply.

Yes...all care must be thru a VA facility. All that you have to do is go into a VA facility and tell them that you are a Vietnam vet with a Purple Heart and that you would like to register with the VA. You will need to bring a copy of your DD214 with you. A few weeks after you have filled out all the paperwork, they will schedule an interview to fill out more paperwork. After that, they will schedule a Doctor Appt for your initial exam. It took me several weeks to finally get my VA card.

They will also do a PTSD exam if you request it.

Jerry
pointman
Sustaining Member

Postby pointman » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:04 pm

I'm 30 miles from the nearest VA. Can get a free ride down, but I guess I would worry about emergencies, heart attack or some such, or traveling somewhere that didn't have VA medical treatment close.

jhb
Delta75

VA

Postby Delta75 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:12 pm

Pointman....sorry for thinking that I was replying to Niner. Maybe I should take time to see to whom I am responding. :)

I understand and agree with your concerns....

Jerry
pointman
Sustaining Member

Postby pointman » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:37 pm

No problem.

You guys talking about retirement, thought would have all the problems solved before I got there. With my finances, probably just as well go right to the veterans burial benefits, forget the retirement planning.

Would you like fries with that?

jhb
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:15 pm

Jerry, I never was wounded. Benefits or no benefits I am grateful it worked out that way.

John, I know what you are saying. I felt the same way for a long time....but things took a turn for the better on the financial end in recent years and I discovered it may possible to have a life without a 50 plus hour work week. But I will have to make some adjustments to my spending habits as you can imagine.
pointman
Sustaining Member

Postby pointman » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:32 pm

No problem.

You guys talking about retirement, thought would have all the problems solved before I got there. With my finances, probably just as well go right to the veterans burial benefits, forget the retirement planning.

Would you like fries with that?

jhb
philt
Sustaining Member

Postby philt » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:59 pm

I just want to make a point about VA. I go to the VA for all of my care and they do an excellent job. I have spent a couple of weeks in the hospital and you wouldn't know it from any other hospital as far as I'm concerned. I have a rare blood disorder called Antiphosolipid syndrome or Hughes synsdrome. It causes my blood to clot very easily. While getting care on the outside I was treated for Migraine headaches, Seizures and had a stroke. The VA figured out what was wrong when no one in public health care could. They got me on blood thinners and I have had no more headaches, seizures or strokes!

You are right about the Purple Heart thing. If you have any service connected disability that gives you the same thing. If your disability is at least 40% the medicine is totally free. If you have diabetes, you can get disability for that because of agent orange. I have a 80% disability because of diabetes and all the problems that has created. The VA health care does a good job. Even if you have insurance you can get the medicine cheaper and still use your insurance for outside care.
Phil

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”