Google Earth

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

pointman
Sustaining Member

Google Earth

Postby pointman » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:50 pm

Niner Alpha

Point your 105's over this way....

Type the following coordinates into the Google Earth search box, see if you agree:

N11.385 E106.169
Nui Ba Den

N10.716 E106.169
French Fort

n10.8342 e106.4629
Chamberlain

n10.9598 e106.3710
VC Island
[From your map, a maybe, but I don't remember the over all shape.]

I'm guessing, based a little on shapes and poor memory.

jhb
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Really cool John

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:43 pm

What John sent me was my old map in pieces overlaying the Google Earth map. Wish the satelite picture were a lot better....but really interesting none the less.

Click on the photos to make them larger.
Attachments
map.jpg
tanan.jpg
gettysburg.jpg
Chamberlain.jpg
Chantrea.jpg
Chantrea in Cambodia
Last edited by Niner Alpha on Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

A better idea about Chamberlain

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:54 am

The picture quality is not great, but the roads are still layed out the same way. Can't be sure exactly where the firebase was, but here are the Google photo and the old map location as I sent it home.
Attachments
Mapch.jpg
blurr.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Ben Luc

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:05 am

The map location and the Google Earth view can be confirmed by the shape of the river.
Attachments
BenLuc.jpg
bluc.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Gettysburg?

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:00 pm

This could be the exact spot. There is a slight rise of "brown" earth.

You will note, if you haven't tried it before, that you can tilt the picture.

The satelite photos from Asia leave a lot to be desired. But.... that's the way it goes for now.

These are Keith Carlson's pictures of Gettysburg. He was Niner Alpha for a short time at the end of 1969 and later FDO for Delta battery 2/4th Arty.

Attachments
16ft.jpg
Seaching by elevation. Between the mark "Gettysburg" which is 8ft above sea level the ground rises to the other point marked at 16 ft above sea level. The area between the marks and what must be the Bobo canal all is in an area above 8ft...average 11ft.
Gettysburg3.jpg
Gettysburg2.jpg
Gettysburg1.jpg
Last edited by Niner Alpha on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

VC Island

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:22 pm

Resolution isn't good...but.
Attachments
Island2.jpg
pointman
Sustaining Member

maps updated

Postby pointman » Wed May 28, 2008 12:28 pm

Hey Robert

Looks like Google Earth has updated resolution in some areas...

Put n10.9598 e106.3710, our original estimate of VC Island, into the Google Earth Search, and take a look now.

John
pointman
Sustaining Member

Google Earth

Postby pointman » Wed May 28, 2008 12:47 pm

also , n10.8342 e106.4629 ,
Chamberlain
pointman
Sustaining Member

Chantrea

Postby pointman » Thu May 29, 2008 12:38 pm

N 10.871338 E 106.080981 Chantrea

Has it changed? I remembered it as being "L" shaped on the North end, and Alpha coming in on the inside of the "L"? Probably confusing it with somewhere else.

jhb
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Looks like some map updates

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu May 29, 2008 2:38 pm

The Chantrea one looks like a newer view than what we had before. But...can't really make much out of it from memory. Like where is the temple? What happened to most of the stateside looking trees?

Did see one place top North West side. Looks like the paddy squares outlined with the tall hedgerow effect with tall bamboo and trees. Have to go back and see if I can save that image. Maybe that was part of the L shape you remember. The temple wasn't far from there either.
Attachments
111.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Hedge?

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu May 29, 2008 2:51 pm

Hard to tell.
Attachments
Hedge.jpg
pointman
Sustaining Member

Into Cambodia

Postby pointman » Thu May 29, 2008 6:21 pm

Thinking there was a map of Chantrea in the book "Into Cambodia", showing Alpha's move in on the first day. Can't find my copy though.

jhb
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Think there was

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu May 29, 2008 7:22 pm

But I also think the book was wrong too.

On the first day only one platoon of Alpha made the early insertion. It landed about like the book showed at the North East end, but was lifted up and brought around to the other side of the village after as short sweep and not much time near the original down grid.

I think, when all the Alpha platoons were eventually brought in all of them were on the Western side of the village. Different platoons moved into the village at different locations subsequently but all from the same side......I think.

I find it odd that I was unaware of the water in streams that seem to circle most of the Village from the Google Earth views. All I remember is vast areas of open dry paddy on the Western side of Chantrea.

Of course there is a real possibility I'm full of crap too in what I think I remember.

I'm attaching the map from Into Cambodia, Click to see larger...as also the other images in this string.
Attachments
intocambodia.jpg
pointman
Sustaining Member

Chantrea

Postby pointman » Thu May 29, 2008 8:58 pm

That map would jive if Alpha was moving directly North, although it is different from the Google map of today. [Notice all the craters there!]

I didn't carry a map at the time and had little inkling where we were.

That morning, May 8, we swept through another town first, which I was told was Ba Thu. Nothing was there, though we burned some huts and searched through everything.

From there we were picked up and dropped at Chantrea. For some reason I am thinking it was around lunch, and I was sore because we didn't get a chance to eat before we started the sweep.

As we moved in, all hell broke loose to our left. I suspect that was Lowe's people making contact, but don't know that. I'm pretty sure there wasn't any thing coming from the front, otherwise I wouldn't be here, as I had no cover in that direction at all, or to the left for that matter.

I dropped, two FNG Shake and Bakes dropped to my right. I do believe everyone else withdrew to a dike to the rear.

Laying there in the sun, I recall clearly trees to my left, beyond which there was shit happening, and there were huts and trees to my front. I "think" it was open towards the right, but I can't picture it now for sure.

I put some M-79 rounds into some huts in front. Didn't really see anything, but someone behind was dropping them there, so felt like I was doing something.

I moved to the right to join the Shake and Bakes, and we started to crawl backward to rejoin the crew in the rear. About that time one of your colleagues sent a marking round over, and it exploded forward of us, throwing some rather ugly pieces of metal close by. I suggested to the Shake and Bakes that we should move faster as some artillery was on the way, and we hauled ass to the rear to join the rest.

I don't recall getting picked up again, but entirely possible. Our second sweep wasn't until the next day.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

We need some more comments

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri May 30, 2008 8:57 pm

I think Joe Donnelly has commented about 3rd platoon too...either to me or in a post. The 3rd platoon went to the area where the arty was setup first, as you say.

Delta wasn't at Chantrea until the second day. I remember getting the radio news when the first insertion by Delta was made when the Delta FO's rto John Lonsdale was KIA on May 8. I had been there altready from the day previous.

Alpha went into Chantrea first with one platoon. The other Alpha platoons were brought in later the first day. We were the only ones there for some hours. I think...memory is a hard thing to depend on after all these years...maybe no other company the first day and night but Alpha.

I think other companies that ended up there were in place before Delta arrived and I doubt if the first platoon of Delta to arrive knew what they were getting into when first inserted.. This is a problem with the book (Into Cambodia) in my mind..
Last edited by Niner Alpha on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

I was wrong on 3rd platoon the first day

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat May 31, 2008 10:18 am

3rd came on the second day, as you say. In fact Joe Donnelly remembered leaving something at the battery site,( Seminole?) expecting to come back and get it.

I'm attaching an image of the map I sent home. I note BaThu on it and then the very definate grid 27530283. I'd bet this is where the battery was...although I never was at either. If you look closely at the photo you will see a second circle...although this is to the left of the number grid coordinate by 600 meters or so.

The map also shows Chantrea and the X I have on it looks like the first insertion mark but don't know if that was on purpose or not.

The other marks are at best a guess at were we might have been later, but wouldn't say any of them are right.

The CP and one platoon, maybe two, were at Chantrea on the first day though. Actually on the first day there was no artillery support. The battery was being set up and moved in. And, incidentally, I remember toward the end of the Chantrea thing the remaining enemy beat it out of the end of the village at night and we couldn't shoot at them because the guns couldn't reach out that far.

Click to make larger.
Attachments
map.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Another Theory

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat May 31, 2008 11:59 am

Pointman sent me a google photo of where he thought the Pagoda was. I got to looking at it and it squares with some of my memory. Open rice fields. Corner of the village to left facing. Right end road leading off like where we linked up with some other company at the end of the adventure several days later. NVA moving out under cover of darkness, what remained of them in same area which I remember as being beyond arty range...just barely. All figures....but I can't help feeling we were on the long side of the village.

I'm posting Pointman's photo and also a larger view of that North side of the village. The one with the ikons is my surmise possible solution. It goes like this.

We were inserted to start with, one platoon of Alpha at about where the star is. We made a short sweep, burned some supplies. (I have a photo in my album. ( We were lifted up because Colonel wanted to move us. I remember seeing the layout of the village from the air as we made a circling movement south and up the other side of the village. We were inserted into a hot lz, I tend to believe where the lightning bolt is. But...if John, Pointman, is right and the Pagoda is where he put the google mark. We would have been inserted at first somewhere about where I have the arrow. This would work, except I keep thinking we were on the long axis of the village for some reason.

Also made a larger image of the pagoda.
Attachments
Pointman.jpg
theory1.jpg
pagota.jpg
pointman
Sustaining Member

pagoda

Postby pointman » Sat May 31, 2008 4:42 pm

On the last day we swept through to the pagoda and stayed there a few hours [Sunday, May 10th]. I remember another building somewhere close by we checked out first. Thinking it was on stilts. A lot of stuff thrown around, like it had been ransacked or left hastily. I picked up some lottery tickets [about 30, sample attached] and some kind of NVA papers. Possible the other building in Google shot?? Don't remember how far away it was. Wouldn't you just love about a day on the ground there now, to see if it came back.
Attachments
1970_05_10.jpg
sample lottery tickets
pointman
Sustaining Member

Monk

Postby pointman » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:11 pm

I picked this picture up from the scattered debris near the Pagoda in Chantrea, a young monk I guess. At the same time I picked up a bright orange strip of cloth, I believed they would have worn around their neck, though I am not exactly sure. That disappeared from my bag, later in the war.
Attachments
monk.jpg
monk.jpg (8.08 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
pointman
Sustaining Member

papers

Postby pointman » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:24 pm

I also picked these up in the debris at Chantrea on the final sweep, somewhere near the pagoda. I don't read Vietnamese/Cambodian, and have no idea what they say or are, other than noticing the prominent star at the top. I was always curious as to their meaning, but never tried to find out. They are quite fragile now.
Attachments
papers 2.jpg
papers 1.jpg
pointman
Sustaining Member

and also these

Postby pointman » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:26 pm

picked up at the same time
Attachments
papers 4.jpg
papers 3.jpg

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”