Sgt. David Harris remembrance project

This is the place to remember those who died in their youth in Vietnam in service with the 6/31st and those who have died since. Family members are encouraged to post here. All death notices and information that the site acquires from whatever sources will be posted here as well.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Sgt. David Harris remembrance project

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:47 am

I got this message the other day concerning one of three Alpha casualties on a particular day that several Alpha guys will always remember:

If this email address is still active, can someone advise if he knows how best to track down any survivor of 6th of the 31st battle 24-25 March 1969 in Kien Phong Province in Vietnam? A friend, Sgt. David Harris, was KIA and awarded the Silver Star in that engagement with the NVA. I'm trying to find someone in his unit who was there at the time. A group of us want to organize a memorial service on the 50th anniversary of Harris's death and would like to invite 6th/31st survivors of that battle.

Thanks.

Bill Allman
Newport Beach, CA
bill.allman1947@gmail.com

Jerry White, as Keeper of the Scroll, gave him some information and Bill Allman also gave us this bit of further information as to why he is undertaking this mission.

Dave Harris was a childhood friend in Marion, OH. We were in basic training together at Ft. Jackson, SC. I'll forward a couple links to stories related to Dave's induction this May into the Ohio Military Hall of Fame for Valor. He was an only child and has no surviving family members. I submitted a FOIA request to the National Personnel Records Center to obtain the orders for his Silver Star so I could submit his name for the Hall of Fame induction. His death has haunted me for nearly half a century.

Bill
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Sgt. David Harris remembrance project

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:14 pm

The induction ceremony in Ohio.

Before watching the video in the link below, I suggest you read for context the email "Memorial Day - a story (Part 1 of 2)."

​The video is of the induction ceremony for the Ohio Military Hall of Fame for Valor on May 5 at the Ohio Statehouse.

The induction ceremony lasted more than an hour. At about the 6-minute mark in the video, Ohio Congressman Jim Jordan is introduced as the keynote speaker. The introduction has an interesting tidbit about Jim's wrestling career as a young man. His short speech is a good one, delivered without notes.

At about the 28-minute mark in the video, Bob Gucker accepts the award on behalf of Sgt. David Harris. Bob's introduction as Dave's high school football coach elicited a collective "Aww" from the audience.

You can fast-forward the video by dragging the line at the bottom of the screen that indicates the elapsed playing time.

http://ohiochannel.org/video/ohio-milit ... emony-2017
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:18 pm

The following was sent to a few Alpha guys who Jerry and I think would be concerned. If you are concerned and didn't get an email, let Bill know.

​Gentlemen,

I recently made contact with Robert Stewart and Jerry​ White in hopes of finding someone who survived the battle in which Sgt. David Harris (Alpha Company, 6th of the 31st) was killed in Vietnam's Kien Phong province on March 24, 1969. Dave was posthumously awarded the Silver Star for his actions on that day.

Dave was inducted into the Ohio Military Hall of Fame for Valor in a ceremony at the Ohio Statehouse on May 5. Related information is in the note and links below. I'll send another email with a link to the video for that ceremony.

Among the many people I met in arranging for Dave's induction into the Military Hall of Fame was his high school girlfriend. She wants to organize a memorial ceremony in Marion, OH, (Dave's hometown) on the 50th anniversary of Dave's death and wants to invite any surviving members of his Army unit to attend. I would appreciate any assistance anyone can provide in identifying these fellow soldiers. I'll then put in them in direct contact with this lady. God willing, I'll attend the memorial, as well.

Thanks.

Bill Allman
1309 Santa Barbara Dr.
Newport Beach, CA 92660

[Post in this string if anyone is interested or contact niner for phone number. or use Bill's email address bill.allman1947@gmail.com]

*********************************************************************************

Please see the links below that tell the story of a childhood friend from Marion, Ohio, who was inducted posthumously into the Ohio Military Hall of Fame for Valor at a ceremony on May 5 at the Ohio Statehouse in Columbus.

My friend, David Harris, was killed in combat at age 21 in March 1969 and was awarded the Silver Star for his actions. He was unmarried and an only child. His parents died decades ago, and he has no other living family members.

To submit David's name for consideration of admittance to the Ohio Military Hall of Fame, I sent requests to the National Personnel Records Center under the Freedom of Information Act to obtain the military records not protected under the Privacy of Information Act of 1974.

Among other things, David Harris was a high school All-Ohio running back in football. To accept the award on David's behalf at the Hall of Fame induction ceremony, I tracked down his 82-year-old high school football coach, who has lived for many years on a sheep farm in rural McCutchenville, Ohio.

I was humbled by the experience and the people I met in the months leading up to the induction ceremony, and I am pleased to share the story about a good and brave young man, U.S. Army Sgt. David Harris.

Bill
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:47 pm

Some clippings. Click on images to make larger.
Attachments
obit in paper.jpg
Pleasant High.jpg
Harris.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:01 pm

Some of the certificates of recognition from County, Congressman, and Governor and the Ohio Military Hall of Fame.
Attachments
house.jpg
Ohio medal.jpg
Kasich.jpg

Return to “Memorial”