James McPike, Jerry White's RTO

This is the place to remember those who died in their youth in Vietnam in service with the 6/31st and those who have died since. Family members are encouraged to post here. All death notices and information that the site acquires from whatever sources will be posted here as well.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

James McPike, Jerry White's RTO

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:43 pm

Jerry and the rest of the third platoon, Delta, remember him.
Attachments
Image3A.jpg
IM_A0102.jpg
Last edited by Niner Alpha on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Re: James McPike, Jerry White's RTO

Postby Delta75 » Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:03 am

Jim was killed the day after our successful recon mission (see other posted picture), by a command det. Due to the size of the explosion, we had always thought it to have been a 105 artillery round. During last year's return to Vinh Kim, the former VC told me that it had been 2 Chi Com claymores stacked on top of each other. From what the VC said, they knew that I had been in charge of the recon squad and they were trying to kill me. They were far away and could only see Jim's antenna. Thinking that I would be next to my RTO, they blew it as soon as he approached the exposive. I was, however, walking point at the time...I had approached a closed gate, and had turned to direct my men to stop...that's when the world blew away. Jim was a great guy and especially popular with the kids and the older Vietnamese. Many cried and displayed anger at the VC for having killed Jim. Like every loss that a platoon suffered....we will never forget them and they will be with us until the day that we die. I have often wondered why it was Jim who was taken and not me. I guess its a case of "survivor's guilt", but Jim had a wife and I had none. <p></p><i></i>

Return to “Memorial”