William Harp

This is the place to remember those who died in their youth in Vietnam in service with the 6/31st and those who have died since. Family members are encouraged to post here. All death notices and information that the site acquires from whatever sources will be posted here as well.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

William Harp

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri May 16, 2014 9:25 am

Bill was a quiet soldier. I remember that day. We were waiting for the birds to come and pick us up. The first lift came, left, we were waiting, and when they were coming in, Bill just went to the ground. There was no blood. Nothing! When we got back to the base camp, we tried to find out about him. No one would tell us. We thought he died from a heart attack. We just didn't know. I believe it was the CO's last combat CA before we went to the new units. Just very sad. I remember we were shocked. They told us he was shot in the arm pit, that there was no exit wound. Last day of those CA's. Just made us feel really bad.

Charlie Salisbury

http://www.6thofthe31st.com/kia/details.php?index=144

William Harp was the last soldier to die in Vietnam while serving with the 6th Battalion of the 31st Infantry. His death was somewhat mysterious. What the Wall says happened may be correct ...but how it seemed to happen, or not happen, was mysterious at least. What Charlie says in his recent remark is more inline with what I remember hearing way back then. This was the second death like this that I had heard of in Vietnam with the 6/31st. No explosion. A guy just falls dead with no visible wound. Later a small entrance wound is found and a the cause of death is listed from the regular menu of causes.

I used to think it was a sniper with a silenced weapon with a small diameter projectile. But that was a wild ass guess from a fertile imagination with no evidence to support it at all.

Return to “Memorial”