1 SG James Coppeler

This is the place to remember those who died in their youth in Vietnam in service with the 6/31st and those who have died since. Family members are encouraged to post here. All death notices and information that the site acquires from whatever sources will be posted here as well.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

1 SG James Coppeler

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:46 pm

Top Coppeler. 1st shirt of Alpha company from sometime in 69 until May of 70 passed away.

From Jim Tierney:

I'm sad to say that we received notice today that MSG (TOP) Coppeler passed away December 17, 2012. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife Ada and his family.
Attachments
ScanImage001.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: 1 SG James Coppeler

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:00 pm

I found the funeral information and guestbook online after some searching. Another one that has passed with few knowing until after he was buried. He used to go to most of the 31st Reunions. Too bad the Association didn't know of his death or didn't pass the information along sooner if they did know. Top Coppeler had a special link to the 31st Regiment. Besides being a 1st Sgt. with Alpha in 69 and into 70, his dad had served with the 31st Regiment during the Russian Siberian Expedition when the Polar Bears got named the Polar Bears. I took a photo of his Dad's uniform patch at the 2005 Reunion. He was proud of his dad.

Top had served in WWII, according to his obituary, Korea and Vietnam. He retired as a Master Sergeant. I think everybody who served under his leadership liked and admired him.....he gave the regular Army a good name and was, in my estimation, a model senior NCO.

http://www.mcmullenfuneralhome.com/fh/o ... h_id=11896
Attachments
DSCN0959.jpg

Return to “Memorial”