Pictures from training at Ft. Sill

Charlie battery 1/11th and Delta battery 2/4th were two of the Artillery units that supplied both enlisted members of the FO teams and artillary fire support during different time periods in Vietnam. Please make a post and make yourself known if you played a part in artillery support.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Pictures from training at Ft. Sill

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:16 am

Vern sent me this collection of pictures from his days in NCO school. Some are of one of the "firepower" demonstrations. Vern's barracks were wood. He will tell you about the pictures eventually ..... I suspect.

"These pictures were taken in the summer of 1968. After NCO school, I was stationed at Ft. Sill before going to Nam. Was crew chief on a 105mm howitzer and participated in one of these demonstrations. We weren't airlifted, just drove in and set up the guns and fired a few rounds. Problem was that I forgot the pan-tel (panoramic telescope) for the gun. It is used for deflection (aiming left or right) on the gun. We ended up just pointing the gun the same direction as the other guns. Luckily there was a large target range we were aimed at. Almost got an Article 15, but just got a severe ass-chewing from Battery Commander. Didn't really care, already had orders for Nam............" Vern.

Album:

http://www.6thofthe31st.com/gallery/mai ... emId=11783
Attachments
untitled_001.jpg
Last edited by Niner Alpha on Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Pictures from training at Ft. Sill

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:24 am

These are from my days in 1969 in FDC school at Ft. Sill. My barracks were newer than Verns and concrete block buildings. The two story ones are the barracks. The large one story one contained several classrooms. The garage looking building is part of the howitzer garages converted to a PX and beer hall. You bought your beer inside in the evenings and leaned on the building as you drank it... or sat on the pavement. The glass front building is the "phone center" for regular long distance calls.They had lots of phones and you paid at a counter. Nobody had a cell phone in those days, much less "free nights and weekends".

Almost forgot this one. Me standing under the A battery FDC sign. I was in B battery which was housed in the building to the right in the background.
Attachments
FDC2.jpg
signone.jpg
Last edited by Niner Alpha on Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cmccammon
Sustaining Member

Postby cmccammon » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:18 pm

Niner Delta (Vern) - great pictures of your training days and I liked hearing about your ass-chewing. At the time, I bet you wished you could have just disappeared into the wood work. However, I think we all had our asses chewed for one thing or another (some more often than others) during training - and the harder the ass-chewing, all the better. I know that you never forgot the pan-tel or any other responsibilities in Vietnam!

Niner Alpha (Robert) - Now that Vern has fessed-up, would you care to tell all of us about your ass-chewing's - come on now, be honest, we all know you weren't 100% perfect all through your training at Ft. Sill.
Posted by: Chuck McCammon
A/6/31 RVN 10-69 to 10-70
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:09 am

Didn't get around any hardware Chuck to screw up. We just did classroom stuff . This is something that was part of classroom work. I have no idea if I knew what I was doing or not with the pencil marks. But as it turned out in Vietnam I didn't have to worry about it in that I got sent to the field.
Attachments
HB2.jpg
HB1.jpg
Last edited by Niner Alpha on Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

To make a short story long.....

Postby Niner Delta » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:31 am

Chuck seemed to enjoy reading about my ass-chewing, so now I will tell him a story of when I almost got promoted from Sgt to Pvt. First a little artillery background for the grunts. In the brass shell half of a 105mm round are 7 powder bags strung together. So when you get a fire mission, along with deflection (left and right), quadrant (up and down), you are given a charge # (1 thru 7 of powder bags). Obviously, the more bags, the further the round goes. If the mission calls for charge 4, then you pull 3 of the bags out and put the shell into the casing and rip off the 3 bags hanging out and throw them into a pile. After missions with high charge numbers, very little powder left over, however, after a long night with low charge numbers, you can accumulate a large pile of bags for each gun. These piles were burned the next day in spectular flash fire. I was a crew chief on a 105mm, so if anything went wrong, it was my fault. Anyway, if one of the guns fire long or short during a mission, when it is over, you count the bags in your pile to see if you have the right amount. If the gun was just aimed high or low, you never knew who was at fault, but a bag count could place blame, and the army loved that. The 1st Sgt in my battery didn't like Shake-n-Bake Sgts, said we didn't earn our stripes (not my fault it took him 10 years to make E-6, LOL). So he took every oppurtunity to get rid of us, which meant whenever an infantry unit needed anyone for FO team, he sent one of the "instant NCOs", no matter whether they wanted a Recon Sgt or an RTO. So after a mission with a mistake, we are all counting powder bags and he is standing next to my pile of bags watching us count them again, and a third time, as I am one bag short. If my gun made the mistake, I will get more than an ass-chewing. As we count them one more time, I have visions of being a private once again. As I am about to admit to him that I am one bag short, the SOB smiles and walks away. I look down and there is my missing bag, he had been standing on it the whole time, he just wanted to see me squirm. Shortly after that, I was sent out to Delta Co. Several months later I saw him in Dong Tam and he asked me if I was ready to come back to the arty unit, hoping I would beg to come back. I did enjoy the look on his face when I told him that I would stay out with the infantry until time to go home.

Everybody has a story, whether you did good or bad, tell us about it. Maybe your story will remind us of another one and we'll get some more people posting.............
Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: To make a short story long.....

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:44 pm

You were asked if you were ready to come back? The battery I was attached to didn't want me back. ..... hmmm.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:48 pm

Vern, do you have a picture of yourself in Vietnam as part of the FO team?

<
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:11 am

Yes I do, just can't find them at this time. They are in this house somewhere and hope they show up when I move.
Vern

Niner Delta

Re: More of Ft. Sill

Postby Niner Delta » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:30 pm

Pics of training with LAWs during Shake-n-Bake school, we all got to fire one at old car bodies, or trucks, or armored vehicles. Don't remember exactly what targets were, but was fun to shoot. I took these pics and I don't remember any of the names except the guy holding up the LAW, his name is Robert Hop.

Seems the guy in bottom pic on the right is checking to see if it is loaded, and he was training us!! Wonder if he is still alive? ........LOL
Attachments
laws1.jpg
Laws2_001.jpg
Vern

Return to “Artillery Support Units”