Official FO compass? FO's take a look

Charlie battery 1/11th and Delta battery 2/4th were two of the Artillery units that supplied both enlisted members of the FO teams and artillary fire support during different time periods in Vietnam. Please make a post and make yourself known if you played a part in artillery support.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Official FO compass? FO's take a look

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:16 am

I had a compass that I think was more an infantry compass. I've seen one like this but through the mist of time , just don't think this was like the one I used. I know I didn't have the case. I used a boot string and hung it around my neck and put the compass into a jacket pocket. These pictures I got from Niner Delta India from a FT. Sill compass.
Attachments
cover.jpg
coverandcase.jpg
compass.jpg
Last edited by Niner Alpha on Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Official FO compass? FO's take a look

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:20 am

I found a picture that seems to show a different compass. This is me a long time ago with the picture scanned in detail.
Attachments
largepicture.jpg
closeup.jpg
clossup2.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:13 pm

Just noticed this string again...looking for something else.

I eventually got a "real" military issue compass like I used in Vietnam. Made in Plainfield N.J. by Union Instrument Company. Has the genuine H3 Radioisotope warning: Radio active glow in the dark stuff in the paint on the dial arrow and E and W, with not much of a shelf life.

Notice the "official" compass pouch. I never had a pouch. Others used a bandage pouch...without the bandage.
Attachments
DSC02530.JPG
DSC02529.JPG
DSC02535.JPG
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Since nobody has posted anything in this arty forum in forever..and since I will do anything to put off raking leaves... I thought I'd add a bit to this subject.

The Artillery compass...the large one... is known as the M2 and you can get one off ebay for any amount of money from about $30 up. I'll pass on this by the way. But it is top of the line and if I wanted to get a super accurate read on the direction my mailbox lies from my front door I'd want one for the purpose.

The more common issue compass used by the infantry, and nearly everybody else in the Army who was issued a compass, was not given a model on the case. Each case had the year of manufacture preceded by a number to designate the month of manufacture. However the design we used got it's exact form in the model of 1950 which changed it up a little from the previous ones that were somewhat less sophisticated and didn't have the straight edge along the side of the open compass.

When you opened the compass....for the information of former privates who weren't issued one and some other individuals who were issued them without instruction....you had a slotted oval hinged in an L shape with a magnification mirror. In practice, you would lift the compass cover opposite, which had a vertical slot with a wire running down the center of the opening, and sight your object of interest lining up the slot in the glass circle appendage with the wire in the cover . If you could read the direction in the compass face through the magnifying glass that was good.. and close to a miracle ....but you could just thumb the back sight oval arm down and the direction would be locked into the compass dial....which was easier.

Now days I'd imagine every person who needs to know anything about where they are or where they are going or from which direction they are being shot at just hopes the batteries don't die in their GPS.
Attachments
aim.jpg
other side.jpg
Notice the number 1 and 1964
string loop.jpg
You tied your spare boot string to this loop
face.jpg
Notice mills was the finer direction and 6400 instead of 360 was the way business was done by the Artillery
bandage.jpg
The two kinds of sometimes issued pouches. One letter box original and one bandage case good enough.

Return to “Artillery Support Units”