I was the last 9er Alpha

Charlie battery 1/11th and Delta battery 2/4th were two of the Artillery units that supplied both enlisted members of the FO teams and artillary fire support during different time periods in Vietnam. Please make a post and make yourself known if you played a part in artillery support.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

I was the last 9er Alpha

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Jun 07, 2002 10:21 pm

I came in country January 4, 1970. I had a 13e20 mos. I landed in the Delta FDC right after several other new guy 13e20's landed. Since I was last, or had the least probable ability...couldn't say which...., I was sent after only a few days to Alpha 6/31st as an RTO. By mid May I was all Alpha 6/31st had for an FO.

The first FO I worked for was Lt. Bill Logan. He became the Air Observer. Then for 1st Lt. Jerry Holderness. He was a West Pointer and became a captain in mid May, leaving me as the FO. I moved up from RTO to RTO- Recon Sgt., under Lt. Holderness, after acting Recon Sgt. Gene Cruise was wounded and went back to the world. I had an RTO named Joe Delgato after I became the FO. He was wounded and went back to the battery and I had a second RTO I think was named Bill Bell.
Attachments
26413573_G.jpg

Return to “Artillery Support Units”