Gettysburg

Charlie battery 1/11th and Delta battery 2/4th were two of the Artillery units that supplied both enlisted members of the FO teams and artillary fire support during different time periods in Vietnam. Please make a post and make yourself known if you played a part in artillery support.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Gettysburg

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:06 am

Looking toward the battery at Gettysburg.
Attachments
24537043_G.jpg
Last edited by Niner Alpha on Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cmccammon
Sustaining Member

Re: Gettysburg

Postby cmccammon » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:28 pm

Correct me if I have this wrong. Gettysburg was a long, narrow, strip of earth thrown up when the French Canal was dug.
At one end was the Arty Battery and at the other end was a Quad-50. I seem to remember the 105s (3-each) being leveled of and firing Bee-hive rounds (multiple HEs within a round) as an anti-personal weapon. The Quad-50 would test fire once in a while, I was lucky enough to participate one-time. That was some lethal machine! Powered by a gas-generator for the electric motors, the guns required a crew of four, minimum. One seated Gunner, 1-crew member per side servicing ammo to two 50s, and 1-crew member maintaining the power plant. 60-Gunners would give anything to sit in that machine for a few moments of blissful-chaos. You could see the tracer rounds go out, for what seemed to be an eternity, then skip off the water and go skyward. What a sight! 4.2 and 81-mortars rounded out the lethality of the FSB.
Posted by: Chuck McCammon
A/6/31 RVN 10-69 to 10-70
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Remember the Dusters?

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:59 pm

Thing looked like a tank but shot rounds larger than the 50's. 20mm maybe? No, 40mm. You can see one in the last picture in the series I took at Gettysburg. That little smudge to the left of the tent is a duster.
Attachments
ScanImage001.jpg
bulletbowman

Beehive rounds

Postby bulletbowman » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:11 am

The information here is pretty close to accurate. At least for the time I was there (circa Jan-Feb 70).We actually never fired any beehive rounds there, but we did fire the ICN rounds that were what I think you were referring to. Beehives were just full of 50,000 (I think) little arrow fleshettes and the ICN actually had things that were like grenades in them which were done with times fuses and done of distant anti-personnel. The Beehives were used only for ground attacks and shot at muzzle escape timing on the fuse. I have shot those before but never at FSB Gettysburg. I did have an ICN round blow up in my gun's tube. But fortunately no one was hurt. It took out all the lans and grooves in the tube but it at least stayed together. The tube however could no longer be used. Thanks, Jerry (Bullet) Bowman
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Thanks for the comments Jerry

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:39 pm

Glad to see someone connected with Delta Battery make a comment here besides myself. Thanks for adding us as a link at your site too. Maybe some old cannon cockers out there will find this message board and let us know they are still alive and kicking. Your site, as you know, but others maybe not, is listed in our links forum.<br>
<br>
There are several old Delta Battery guys I would like to hear from again. Like old Roger Zable from Joliet Illinois for instance. We went through basic training at FT. Benning together. Or Lt. Bill Logan who was FO at Alpha when I came to Delta battery, or guys I have had commo with on the internet: Barney Ogle, Joe Weiss, Keith Carlson, Jerry Holderness. <br>
<br>
Maybe we can get some activity going here eventually.<br>
<br>
Robert Stewart <p></p><i></i>
bulletbowman

FA in the Nam

Postby bulletbowman » Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:05 pm

Robt. - Sorry I don't know any of the guys you are looking for. I keep in contact w/ Lt. Phil, Spec 5. Mike Keenan, and Spec 4. Tim King all of which were with me in B btry 6/77th FA then on to D btry 2/4th FA. - Later- Bullet <p></p><i></i>

Return to “Artillery Support Units”