Orders from headquarters for FO teams

Charlie battery 1/11th and Delta battery 2/4th were two of the Artillery units that supplied both enlisted members of the FO teams and artillary fire support during different time periods in Vietnam. Please make a post and make yourself known if you played a part in artillery support.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Orders from headquarters for FO teams

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:09 pm

My last FO was promoted out of the field to captain right after our return from Cambodia in May of 1970. This left me as the FO for Alpha company. I was still a PFC after five months in country when this happened, although the recon slot was still unfilled from a couple of months before. I didn't get an RTO until a month later after the Alpha company CO, Olson, pulled some strings through Lt. Col. Gearin and got my first of what would turn out to be two eventual volunters as RTO's before the battalion went out of business. A month or two later after becoming Niner Alpha I finially made E4. This order, by Holderness, that I reproduce here ultimately helped the situation and my old FO sent me a copy sometime before my "promotion" to E4.

Nobody in any of the FO teams had it much, or any, better at the time. There was only one actual LT FO in one of the companies at the very end. The biggest problem, I surmise, was that the Army didn't make any allocations for anything for the 3rd Brigade of the 9th in the final months of the brigade. And enlisted men FO team members had been forgotten for a long time, as a matter of practise by Delta battery 2/4th anyway.

God, do I still hate the 2/4th leadership?.....I'm still breathing, ain't I?

Click on the photo and you can read it.
Attachments
Robert Adjutant.jpg

Return to “Artillery Support Units”