C,1st and 11th

Charlie battery 1/11th and Delta battery 2/4th were two of the Artillery units that supplied both enlisted members of the FO teams and artillary fire support during different time periods in Vietnam. Please make a post and make yourself known if you played a part in artillery support.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: C,1st and 11th

Postby Niner Delta » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:52 pm

JPC29er,

Well, Erlich is gone, so that's the end of it. I hope he treated his family better than he treated us.

Your post has me confused on several points, but that's not hard to do............... :mrgreen:

I don't remember any of those things happening on Feb. 13th, not pushing guns up on the berm, the 8" guns over the berm,
VC in the battery area, F-100s, any of it. So I thought I must have already gone to FO team. Looked at my old orders and saw
that I was awarded an ARCOM with V Device, the "date of action" was 11 February 1969. There were 15 of us from C Btry listed
on the orders to get one. That was only 2 days before the action you described. I'm sure I would have remembered all the things
you saw on the 13th. My guess is that either I went to FO team on Feb 12th, or my orders or your memory has dates confused.
I can only guess that if 15 of us got medals the same time, it was probably the night we fired the guns on our hands and knees
during a mortar attack because the infantry was under attack at the same time. Here is the list, maybe you remember some of them.
Otis Goodyear
Alfredo Azevedo
Charles Sphar
Wayne Longwill
Richard Rees
Joseph Takacs (I think was on my gun crew)
Danny Wehunt
Earnest Huston
Wilfred Grady (I think was on my gun crew)
Leonard Haverkamp
Anthony (cupcake) Kupress (I know was on my gun crew)
Thomas Galvan (I think was on my gun crew)
Thomas Koziol
Julio Anguiano

I know I was with the FO team by March 28th, have orders for another ARCOM along with Lt. Jackson (FO) and PFC Tapp (RTO), they
were the FO team, along with myself, for D Co. when I first went to the field.
The problem is that I don't remember exactly when I went to FO team, but I thought it was late Feb or early March.
But I do remember when 3 (or 6) of our guns were at a small firebase with a few ARVN old split trail 105s, we played volleyball with
them and losers bought beer, and we watched movies projected on the side of a little white building. Do you recall any of that?

Not sure why you couldn't fire beehive rounds, Vinh Kim is two and a half miles away. (Couldn't remember so used Google Earth..... :lol: )
Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Jackpotcharlietwoniner

Postby Jackpotcharlietwoniner » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:20 am

I remember Azevedo, Sphar and Len Havercamp.
I have a picture of Azevedo after he got hit in the arm.
the dates keep rolling by each year, and I remember them and what happened like it was a groundhog day movie....done at night time
Happy Post Tet !

Vern , all those things happened beginning at 2 am on the 13th.
I can't specifically date each of the events in the timeline, from the 13th through March 26th seems to blend in all together.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:04 pm

By the end of March, I had been on FO team for a little while, probably happened after
I left. Luckily, people like you can remember those things, I can't seem to....... :(

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.

Return to “Artillery Support Units”